Thread: Suggested meals before cross fit workout page

Utahninja is offline Junior Member

Suggested meals before cross fit workout

Primal Fuel
    I am starting my on ramp cross fit training this evening. Any advice as to what to eat prior?

paint94979 is online now Senior Member
    What are your goals? Do you need to lose weight? If dropping weight is not your goal I would eat a moderate amount of carbs and some fat. PWO I would go heavy on carbs. For me personally I fast preworkout then eat a big meal with roughly 80-100 grams of carbs from sweet potato and then some protein and lots of fat.

Paint, yes I am trying to continue losing weight while getting more fit. I know that before adhering to PB I would carb load prior to a workout. This will be my first try at a workout after following the PB.

BuffaloGrok is offline Senior Member
    I don't usually eat within 2-3 hours of a WOD. I didn't learn this lesson until after several weeks of starting xfit, as my meal would usually come back up either during or just after the workout. Nobody wants to be Pukie!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I do Crossfit 5 days a week and don't do any pre-workout eating, just regular breakfast/lunch/dinner. Overall, I have upped protein and carbs and lowered fat a bit.

I've upped my carbs from 50-80 to more like 80 to 120 grams a day. On lifting only or rest days I eat lower carb and on MetCon days I eat a little higher.

I think "pre-fueling" just for a work out just makes it harder to lose weight by adding unneeded calories. I know CrossFit is challenging, but the intensity is brief (for the most part) and I doubt it is a huge calorie burn justifying extra calories.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Thank you for all of the responses!

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    I do occasionally eat larabars if I'm feeling hungry enough and need a boost. They are fairly low carb, made with real food, i.e. they are bound together with dates and have nuts and or decent stuff in them. Usually no more than four or five ingredients tops. They are high in carbs relatively, but I don't eat a lot of high in carb foods outside of them except for the small serving of sweet potato every now and then. If I've done a run in the morning, or a swim, and headed into a WOD, I will mow down on one.
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    I should mention I have not done Crossfit to lose weight. By the time I got serious about it, I was already down to about 23% body fat, and around 120 lbs. I'm actually now closer to 130 lbs, but also down to about 18% body fat. So calories in calories out is less of an issue for me.
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

Choleslo is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For crossfir base your diet on garden vegetables, especially greens, lean meats, nuts and seeds, little starch, and no sugar