Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fructose & Body Fat? page

Catrin is offline Senior Member

Fructose & Body Fat?

Primal Fuel
    I am very perplexed. I am a very active woman, and work out 4 days a week. I do take 2 rest days (not together), and try to do something long and slow on that 5th day - and sometimes do so on one of those 4 days. I got a Bodpod last week, and apparently gained close to 4% bodyfat in about 4-5 months! My weight is close to the same, only 2 pounds difference which I do not consider significant.

I suspect that I am focusing too much on numbers and tracking every bite I eat - this could cause me to eat more than I need. My macros are ~50 fat, 30-32% protein with the remainder being carbs.

I've just realized that most of my carbs are coming from fruit - mainly bananas, plantains, berries, and pineapple. Can this be part of the problem? I am sure that carb source matters, but how correct an assumption is this? I probably need more starchy veggies and fibrous veggies as well. I tend to limit myself to spinach, kale, watercress, parsley, sweet potatoes and the occasional squash.

I obviously need to mix something up as my current approach isn't working but I want to take a well-thought out approach. Some might think I don't get enough calories, but I am very active - I tend to get between 1,700-1,900 though some days it is hard to get that much. I am a small woman - not trying to lose weight but to fuel my activities and to drop my body weight percentage...I've lost all the gains I've made in that department over the last year

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    I am presuming that you have gotten a body fat measurement using your Bodpod? How did you take your initial reading 4-5 months ago?

Consumer body fat measurement devices are notoriously unreliable. It is unlikely you have gained that much body fat. If so, your measurements (and pants size!) should have increased. Did they?

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    What do these workouts consist of? Energy intake could be low. If the 4% body fat increase is real, you lost muscle or added fat. I'm going with lost muscle.

The same Bodpod was used, same time of day, and fasting of course. I also didn't get much sleep the night before - stress is really impacting my ability to get a decent night's sleep right now.

My workouts are in a small group environment with a strength and conditioning coach. A typical workout has a decent warm-up and core work section, then some pure strength work and/or power combination, then we fill the remaining time with met-con work. It IS an intense workout, and one day a week we focus on conditioning. As tough/fun as it is, the entire thing is only for an hour. Outside of that I do mobility work, ride my bike, and work on those things that I am not very good at. Sometimes I go for a slow trail run/hike.

My pants ARE fitting tighter in waist than they were, though I've not changed sizes. If this continues I will. I am also in rehab due to a jacked shoulder (and lots of soft tissue adhesions), so I can't do any over-head work (this may be permanent). I CAN do everything from goblet squats to deadlifts, just can't do anything above my shoulder.

I am wondering on the impact of poor sleep as well, as of this week I am limiting myself to one cup a coffee rather than my usual 2-3 to see if that helps.
    Last edited by Catrin; 08-19-2013 at 07:41 AM.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Can i ask you a question? Where are the carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, fennel, celery. To name a few.
    Life. Be in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Belforte View Post
    Can i ask you a question? Where are the carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, fennel, celery. To name a few.
    Ohhhhhh, there is LOTS of lettuce...I should have listed that with the spinach and kale I DO like using romaine lettuce leaves as wraps. I did actually buy carrots this week. I know I need more variety and to get my carbs from something other than fruit. Not that fruit is bad, mind you. I just fall into the trap of sticking with certain foods and leave it at that.

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    What gave you your calorie target? I am 6ft 2 and eat 2100 cals a day as around a 500 cal deficit. Have you tried reducing to say, 1600 and see how you feel and perform?

The calories ARE the number to watch, certainly for intake, I tend to ignore the expenditure bit pretty much.

How does this bid pod compare to your last one re where in your monthly cycle?

Eat your carbs post workout or evening only

Increase carbs as % of daily intake and see what happens

There are some things to try

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Stress and sleep is probably the first place to start, before worrying about carbs. In conjunction, the suggestion to check your overall energy intake is important--if you're not sleeping well, and working out frequently, any lack of calories will just be another stress...and when the body is stressed, it holds on to fat.

In addition to Primal guidelines, check out this guy's blog: http://http://www.archevore.com/get-started/. He does specifically say to limit fructose if you're trying to lose fat. I think it may have to do with whether the amount and timing of your fruit intake is preventing you from being fat-adapted. For instance, I have fruit every day, but as a part of a meal, not on its own, so I don't have a carb-only feeding...

Good luck.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Fat is the least anabolic macronutrient and the most likely macronutrient to wind up as fat on your body. I'd increase protein to 35% on workout days and 40% on rest days. I'd keep fat below 35% at all times. Carbohydrate is less likely to be stored as fat than fat by an order of magnitude. Fructose is also less likely to be stored as fat than glucose because it increases the metabolic rate tenfold over glucose as it is more difficult for the body to process and increases body temperature more. Immediately post-workout I go mostly for starch, but when sedentary I feel fruit is a superior carb source as it is a "slower carb" in general.

Of course, this all assumes kcals stay the same.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    this link might help you select more appropriate carbs Primal Blueprint Shopping List | Mark's Daily Apple
    bananas & plantains arent optimal and pineapple isn't actually on the list, sweet potatoes are in moderation
    eat more real veg off the list
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 08-19-2013 at 10:08 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast