Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat gurus - question page

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member

Squat gurus - question

My gym has a smith machine and a squat rack so that I can squat.

I know the smith machine is a no go but I don't feel too safe upping the weights on the squat rack. I have nearly lost it backwards a couple of times!

Any other alternatives on the Stronglifts routine?

finding a new gym isn't really an alternative at this point.

I am taking it quite slow on upping the weights at the moment because I don't feel comfortable going heavy without a safety backup of some kind.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like your squat form might be off. I think the bar should be over the mid foot on the low back squat so going backwards should not be likely.

If you look at Rippetoe's squat vids, he says that the eyes should be gazing at the floor ahead, and that the torso is forward, not upright. Also, from the bottom position, the point of focus as you come up is the lower back around the sacral area.

The bar should never feel like it is dragging you back.

Also, drop the weight, work on form, then progress

prufock is offline Member
    My immediate reaction is that if you're nearly toppling backwards, your weight is too high. Being able to keep the weight up solidly should be a prerequisite to squatting that weight. What part of the SL program are you at and what weight are you using? Have you stalled and reset yet?

Most squat racks have safety rails that you can adjust to the correct height for you. Is that the case at your gym?

I don't think there are really any replacements for basic squatting on SL. The Smith rack restricts your range of motion and limits muscle activation. Same with leg presses.

No safety pins in my squat rack.

It is one of those sloping ones and it is quite annoying to put back in.

I am currently squatting 75KG which doesnt feel too heavy but I probably don't squat low enough.

I think I may drop the weight to 60-65 and really get my form good for the next few weeks before upping it.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

At what weight did you start? Assuming from your user name that you're a male, 75 kg is not that high if you started low and progressed steadily - you're basically squatting your own weight - but it depends on what your starting weight was and all that. Had you been having problems keeping the weight steady before you hit 75 kg? What is your 1-rep max?

If you're new to SL, definitely drop the weight, maybe even to the empty bar, and work back up. If you've been doing it a while, dropping 10-15% as if you had stalled (because that's sort of the case) would probably help.

Get the spreadsheet from the bottom of this page and be honest about your max lifts. Starting too high will hurt you.

thanks prufock.

Only been doing it for about 2-3 months but i have before this always done squats in different varieties. Only recently started working with barbells and enjoying it.

Just need to take a bit of time to get technique right.

75kg is not really a huge challenge. My main challenge comes from putting the weight on, walking backwards with it and then getting a strong base. I think I need to take more time doing this. I don't actually have much problems performing the squat, just the setup more than anything.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

I started at 60kg fyi.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Yeah, 60 kg seems high to start if you're having trouble with 75 kg. That suggests a 5 rep max of 120 kg by the SL guidelines. Basically you should be starting at half your previous 5-rep max weight (or empty bar, whichever is lower).

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    The solution to your problem is learning to squat. Borrow the 3rd edition of Starting Strength from the library, get a coach, or watch a billion youTube videos. But learn to squat.

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post
    thanks prufock.

Only been doing it for about 2-3 months but i have before this always done squats in different varieties. Only recently started working with barbells and enjoying it.

Just need to take a bit of time to get technique right.

75kg is not really a huge challenge. My main challenge comes from putting the weight on, walking backwards with it and then getting a strong base. I think I need to take more time doing this. I don't actually have much problems performing the squat, just the setup more than anything.
    Listened 2 podcast this week .
    Superhumanradio

The presenter mentioned even having a really heavy weight on back walking out & holding there for manageable length of time builds core Strength etc.

Makes sense.

Maybe good option to try walking up and getting heavy weight on back

From London England UK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast