Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the supernatural page

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member

Thoughts on the supernatural

Primal Fuel
    I know this isn't really PB related, but there are a great many informed and inquiring minds on this forum that I think will lend well to discussion.

I am becoming less religious every day, and have pretty much decided that our universe is incredible enough without an omniscient, omnipotent god looking over our shoulders and pulling all the levers. If there is such a god, he/she probably isn't concerned with human affairs. This is the standpoint I am coming from.

However...

It seems to me that many experience supernatural phenomena, for example...

- I've felt my dad's intense distress from hundreds of miles away, and when I called, it turned out he was suffering from deep depression and was at one of his all time lows.

- I've also always been absolutely sure that sensing the spirits of the dead was hokum, until I met a woman who upon driving past a particular part in the road felt a great sense of pain and suffering. She said that someone had died there in a very traumatic way. This turned out to be the exact spot where a high schooler had been tied to a tree, shot, and lit on fire which was committed in regard to gang related activity. This woman is lives 250 miles away from this city, and until recently has spent no time there. This is just one account of her sensing those that have passed. I can't help but believe her, despite my aversion to such stories.

I think there is something to many of these accounts, perhaps a lingering of energy or information, or something like quantum entanglement, but I'm having a really hard time finding a direction to look in.

Does anyone know of any research or explanations that look plausible at all?

Does anyone have any similar experiences or anecdotes?

Am I crazy or is there something going on here? Maybe a level of communication that we've evolved away from due to ever more sophisticated forms of language?

Maybe science just hasn't caught up yet.

Let's chat.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Energy goes beyond time and space, and connects everything. That's why we have "psychic" experiences, like thinking of someone and them calling, or knowing how someone is feeling, or feeling what someone is thinking.

I believe this energy is not random, but is conscious, and moves towards expansion and evolution.

"God" is a limited concept.

Have you heard of a documentary called "What the Bleep do we know?" It's about quantum physics - you might find it interesting!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I love Jensen and Jared.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    I think it would be very difficult for a hard science grounded in the physical to accurately define, much less describe that which is beyod the physical realm. The word metaphysical means just that... beyond the physical.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    i love jensen and jared.
    +1 lol
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Yeah interesting and yet kind of wonder why you ask this.

Do you have a 'preferred reality'?
    What if actual reality didn't match your preference? ( if you have one)

I'm sure many people have similar anecdotes - in fact many pages could be filled with them.
    Will reading them help?

prufock is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo712 View Post
    - I've felt my dad's intense distress from hundreds of miles away, and when I called, it turned out he was suffering from deep depression and was at one of his all time lows.

- I've also always been absolutely sure that sensing the spirits of the dead was hokum, until I met a woman who upon driving past a particular part in the road felt a great sense of pain and suffering. She said that someone had died there in a very traumatic way. This turned out to be the exact spot where a high schooler had been tied to a tree, shot, and lit on fire which was committed in regard to gang related activity. This woman is lives 250 miles away from this city, and until recently has spent no time there. This is just one account of her sensing those that have passed. I can't help but believe her, despite my aversion to such stories.

I think there is something to many of these accounts, perhaps a lingering of energy or information, or something like quantum entanglement, but I'm having a really hard time finding a direction to look in.
    The law of truly large numbers explains much of "ESP" coincidences. The more data you collect, the more coincidences occur. Psychics use this trick all the time - make many predictions, emphasize the ones you get correct, ignore the ones you don't. It's similar to confirmation bias, except that their job is to bias their audience.

1. How often do you talk to your dad? Could you have picked up something from other information? How long was he depressed before you picked up on anything, and how often do you call home?

2. How many places in the world have been the sites of "intense pain and suffering?" How well do you know this woman? My impression from your post is that she makes many of these "insights" - how confident are you that they are not researched?

Hypotheses of "lingering energy or information" and "quantum entanglement" are essentially meaningless in this context.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Energy goes beyond time and space, and connects everything. That's why we have "psychic" experiences, like thinking of someone and them calling, or knowing how someone is feeling, or feeling what someone is thinking.
    Energy is mass, mass requires space, therefore energy can not go "beyond space." Spacetime is warped by mass.

Have you heard of a documentary called "What the Bleep do we know?" It's about quantum physics - you might find it interesting!
    No it isn't. New age proponents have misappropriated use of the term "quantum" for pseudoscientific ends.
    Last edited by prufock; 08-19-2013 at 06:31 AM.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prufock View Post
    The law of truly large numbers explains much of "ESP" coincidences. The more data you collect, the more coincidences occur. Psychics use this trick all the time - make many predictions, emphasize the ones you get correct, ignore the ones you don't. It's similar to confirmation bias, except that their job is to bias their audience.

1. How often do you talk to your dad? Could you have picked up something from other information? How long was he depressed before you picked up on anything, and how often do you call home?

2. How many places in the world have been the sites of "intense pain and suffering?" How well do you know this woman? My impression from your post is that she makes many of these "insights" - how confident are you that they are not researched?

Hypotheses of "lingering energy or information" and "quantum entanglement" are essentially meaningless in this context.
    Stop making sense

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    There is no supernatural.

If it exists or occurs, it is natural.

If it does not, then it does not.

M.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    There is no supernatural.

If it exists or occurs, it is natural.

If it does not, then it does not.