Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the supernatural page 2

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Humans are well known for thinking too much of themselves.
    You are just like an ant. Or a bird. You drop dead, you rot or turn into ash and get mixed with earth. Stuff goes on.
    Few but ripe.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    There is no supernatural.

If it exists or occurs, it is natural.

If it does not, then it does not.

M.
    Okay, fine. I'll haiku-ize it for you. Let me know if you're good with this:

Supernatural:

That which does not exist or

that which does: nature

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    I have changed my mind. There is supra-natural shit.
    The Truth About Lifting Heavy - With John Barban - YouTube
    Few but ripe.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    Humans are well known for thinking too much of themselves.
    You are just like an ant. Or a bird. You drop dead, you rot or turn into ash and get mixed with earth. Stuff goes on.
    When I was maybe 7, I was sitting on the apron of my driveway out front, and heard a wailing, high-pitched squeal kind of background noise; it was an upsetting sound that made me anxious to hear, more so that the source of it was unknown- it seemed to be coming from the ground around me, and I crawled around for a bit until I could locate a source. Started hearing it more vividly as I moved, until I thought I was crouching near the origin.

I saw an ant on the pavement, and put my ear to it, and it was the ant. No doubt in my mind, then or now, that I could hear the ant. So after confirming that with my ear, I got real up close to it with my face to watch it, and saw that it was carrying a dead ant with it, and stopping every so often, putting it down and continuing this shriek.

Totally weird and awesome experience.

Haven't labs confirmed that electrons teleport through time and space? The seperation of nature from "supernatural" seems unnecessary to me, because nature appears to me to be a magically interconnected dimension that orbits living consciousness.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I believe that there are other forms of communication (non verbal). I've had 2 significant experiences, both happened a long time ago

1) my 3 yr old niece was in a coma, due to meningitis and it was touch and go for a while. I had a dream that she woke up and spoke to my brother. That very night she woke and said, "I love you Dado".

2) My sister and her husband had been trying to get pregnant for 2 yrs. I was living in Europe at the time and I had a dream that my sister was pregnant. I called my Mom to tell her and my mom said don't mention it because they are still trying. What do you know my sis calls me about a month later to tell me she's pregnant.

Maybe they were just coincidences but I believe that we have other senses we aren't using and that there are so many distractions and background noises in our lives that prevent us from using these senses.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Word. Aren't there experiments with rats and their times figuring out mazes, and with people doing previously solved cross-word puzzles that explore that?
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Okay, fine. I'll haiku-ize it for you. Let me know if you're good with this:

Supernatural:

That which does not exist or

that which does: nature
    Wasn't a haiku.

M.

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    Lots of interesting thoughts here, many of which I resonate with.
    I agree that if it happens it is natural and that supernatural by definition is impossible, but it is a word that many can immediately understand, so maybe we should dispense with the semantics for now.

I trust that this woman I speak of is not trying to win attention or make money, she's quite private about the matter. Her feelings are convincing to me, and that is why I bring them up, because I am inclined to think otherwise.

This post is a manifestation of my attempt to make sense of the world around me without the use of faith or blind belief.

As some have stated here, I think that perhaps people have more methods of perception than we allow ourselves to use. Something like a down regulation of certain traits in order to up regulate others.

I am trying to see reality as it is, and to make an informed perspective of the world around me with which to work. This is no meager task, so I'm hoping we can share viewpoints and world lenses in discussing the topic.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Had a friend, Carl, I grew up with. One night Carl, another friend, and myself were in a nightclub parking lot after closing. There was a guy stumbling and too drunk to drive. Being a cutup Carl put his arm on the drunks shoulder teasing him a little asking if he needed a ride. We had intended to give the guy a ride home. This drunk looked at Carl and then froze in a cold stare at Carl's face. Carl though he was going to attempt a sucker punch so took off his glasses. He then gets closer to Carl's face and says "you're going to die within a year." That broke the ice and we laughed. Somebody else that knew him gave this guy a ride home. That was October. Carl died of lymphoma the following April. We later heard this drunk was supposed to be a psychic of sorts.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    What Happened Before the Big Bang?
    The question doesn't make sense if we posit that God sustains the universe from a 'location' outside of space and time.

BY: Paul Davies (Biography | ASU Cosmos)

Paul Davies on the Big Bang, time, cosmology, God, and theology - Beliefnet.com

Paul Davies is visiting professor of physics at Imperial College in London. He was awarded the 1995 Templeton Prize for Progress in Religion and is the author of more than 20 best-selling books, most notably 'The Mind of God.'

This essay excerpted from 'God For The 21st Century,' edited by Russell Stannard, with permission of the Templeton Foundation.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast