Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: For the ladies: hormone changes when going Primal? page 4

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Switching from the SAD to a pretty low-carb version of primal was great for about a month, but then I plunged into a horrible bout of insomnia. For weeks on end I'd average maybe 3 hrs/night. Over the course of about 1.5 yrs I tried EVERYTHING. I'm finally back to about where I started (6-7 hrs/night with the help of a benadryl) after dropping the birth control pill and giving up on the low-carb version of primal. All the doctors told me that it couldn't be related, but sleep is regulated by hormones and the only thing that had changed was my diet. Clearly it was doing something to my hormones. I don't know why it changed how I was reacting to my pill, but I swear it did.

Once I went off the pill I found my cycles ranged from 30-90 days. I can't say if primal hurt or helped with regularity, since I hadn't been off the pill since the age of 18 (and I'm 32 now)! Maybe they would have evened out at some point, but I got pregnant (15 wks now) after 10 months of being off so now it's a mystery.

I am convinced that low carb is NOT a good idea for everyone. I've heard a lot of good success stories, but it seems to me that it works better for men. Personally I need some carbs, and it seems to be even more important now that I'm pregnant. Not sugar, but more like whole milk, fruit & starchy veggies with the occasional rice or "treats" (which for me are almond flour pancakes or muffins). If I just have eggs and bacon for breakfast, I start dragging and then get nauseated.

little12 is offline Member
    KimINGa---can I ask what carbs, calories, etc you were at before pregnancy?? I'm about 2 months into primal and keeping under 100g carbs a day---1200 ish calories. I'm getting ready to start some high intensity workouts, so i'll up things a little. BUT, the past few weeks I have felt just exhausted every.single.morning. I flop around at night like crazy!! I'm just curious...maybe I need to add more carbs :/ Makes me nervous though as I finally started losing about a month ago. Finally.

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little12 View Post
    KimINGa---can I ask what carbs, calories, etc you were at before pregnancy?? I'm about 2 months into primal and keeping under 100g carbs a day---1200 ish calories. I'm getting ready to start some high intensity workouts, so i'll up things a little. BUT, the past few weeks I have felt just exhausted every.single.morning. I flop around at night like crazy!! I'm just curious...maybe I need to add more carbs :/ Makes me nervous though as I finally started losing about a month ago. Finally.
    I was aiming for 50-75, but sometimes ending up closer to 100. And I was also going for 1200-1500 calories. It got to be sooo tedious to track it all, and honestly I was not getting good results. The insomnia was awful, and I didn't lose a single lb. If you're losing some weight, maybe it's turning out a little better for you than it did for me. But you could always try going a little higher and see what happens. Worst case is you stall for the 2 weeks you're trying it out. Best case maybe you start to feel better!

I gave up on tracking entirely, and just focused on eating real foods that are as nutrient dense as possible. I honestly feel like my body's natural ability to self-regulate through appetite is more tied to nutrient density than food volume. I focus on trying to get in superfoods like pastured eggs, bone broth, wild fish, and organic fruits/veggies (but always with a good source of fat, like grassfed butter or pastured lard, because some nutrients are only fat-soluble). Defining a "junk food" became more about what kind of nutrients it can offer than whether it contains carbs. I feel like my energy levels are definitely better since I started doing this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234