Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For the ladies: hormone changes when going Primal? page 3

MooseM is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Aingealag,

Thank you so much for your reply. How would I go about getting that blood work done? I don't have a primary since I've never been sick. Do I just call one up and ask for it? I know that may sound stupid but having never been sick and grateful for it, I really don't know if just asking for this at a regular physician is what I should do or is there another route I should take?

Again, thanks so much. I'm really desperate for some answers. My husband thinks maybe I'm not exercising enough and I'm not because I can never do anything for the pain in my joints or my headaches. If I try pushing physical activity with a mild headache I risk launching it into a migraine

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Moosem,
    I'm your age and have had similar issues. I would recommend getting your thyroid checked. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's (hypothyroid) last spring by my GP, I had suspected it for a long time. It turned out that she wasn't very experienced with dealing with it so I asked around and found someone that specializes in hormone issues. He ordered a bunch of tests, it's expensive, but I'm tired of trying to fix things myself. Last year while trying to deal with my symptoms myself through diet and supplements my thyroid got really out of whack. My next appointment is in September, I hope that with the test results we'll have a better idea of what course I should take to heal my thyroid.

I don't think exercising with a headache is a good idea, at least for me it would be a sure way to turn it into a full on migraine.
    At your age it's a good idea to get some blood work done and to see a doctor who can interpret the results. Yes it is expensive but think of all the money you've saved over the years. Since you are starting from scratch in terms of a doctor why not see if there are any paleo/primal docs or functional medicine docs in your area.
    Find a Primal/Paleo Physician or Healthcare Practitioner
    Last edited by Urban Forager; 08-20-2013 at 09:28 AM.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Urban Forager,

Thank you! I so appreciate you both replying to me. This morning I was in tears when I woke up with yet another headache and feeling exhausted so any input you guys have is gold to me. I had no idea there was a website for Primal Practitioners! I was just sitting here contemplating how I could begin to explain to a conventionally taught doctor why I eat so much fat and not get handed the basic cholesterol meds which so many of my friends seem to end up on. I will check out that website right away and again, thank you so much for your help!

Urban Forager,

Thank you! I so appreciate you both replying to me. This morning I was in tears when I woke up with yet another headache and feeling exhausted so any input you guys have is gold to me. I had no idea there was a website for Primal Practitioners! I was just sitting here contemplating how I could begin to explain to a conventionally taught doctor why I eat so much fat and not get handed the basic cholesterol meds which so many of my friends seem to end up on. I will check out that website right away and again, thank you so much for your help!

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I hope you feel better soon, Moose. I had a bad headache a couple of weeks ago (twice) and I was miserable, nothing seemed to help. Finally I took 800mg of Ibuprofen (not something I normally do) and it went away.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Aingealag is offline Member
    I hope you find a good (Primal) physician. I have very little faith in "regular" GP's, but they can still order blood tests for you. Just explain your issues and a good GP will order a standard blood test checking for vitamin/mineral deficiencies and check thyroid status and possible infections. Tip: when your GP is writing the referral for the blood test, check to see what he/she is checking for. Some can be a little conservative. Just say you want "the lot" or at the least vitamin B's & D, immunoglobulin E (hope I spelled that right, I'm pretty sure it checks for allergic reactions in your blood) iron, calcium, magnesium, reproductive hormones & thyroid.

Good luck! I'm sure whatever is going on is very much treatable!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Some great info here I just wanted to add a link to another MDA thread with lots of info about female hormonal imbalances: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread22423.html

Moose, definitely gutted checked for Hashis. My mum has it, and migraines were one of her first symptoms. You may need to get a scan of your thyroid to confirm if you have it.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Aingealag View Post
    I hope you find a good (Primal) physician. I have very little faith in "regular" GP's, but they can still order blood tests for you. Just explain your issues and a good GP will order a standard blood test checking for vitamin/mineral deficiencies and check thyroid status and possible infections. Tip: when your GP is writing the referral for the blood test, check to see what he/she is checking for. Some can be a little conservative. Just say you want "the lot" or at the least vitamin B's & D, immunoglobulin E (hope I spelled that right, I'm pretty sure it checks for allergic reactions in your blood) iron, calcium, magnesium, reproductive hormones & thyroid.

Good luck! I'm sure whatever is going on is very much treatable!
    I checked for a primal physician thru the link I was given. Unfortunately they are all chiropractors and in my state they can not order blood work. I think I found a decent GP tho and will ask for a complete blood profile specifically asking for what you've mentioned as well. After doing some research yesterday I do have alot of symptoms of thyroid imbalance and I guess women are particularly susceptible during times of hormone changes such as post partum and menopause. Spent 12 hours in bed yesterday with another stupid migraine so I'm really ready to get this solved. It's really interfering with my life now.
    Thanks for your advice, I really really appreciate it!

Aingealag is offline Member
    You're welcome keep us posted on this thread when you get your results back, ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Aingealag View Post
    You're welcome keep us posted on this thread when you get your results back, ok?
    I sure will, especially if it'll help someone else

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast