Thread: For the ladies: hormone changes when going Primal? page 2

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Nope, but I was never low carb primal.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

fresa is offline Member
    Aingealag,

I have had very similar issues, although I am not sure the primal is to blame. I went off the pill in January and didn't have my period for about 3 months (still got cramps and hormonal acne though). Doc said it was normal. Moved to the states from Spain, and started eating primally again after a brief hiatus. Since I started the primal eating again, I haven't stopped having my period. Since May. Doc said it's normal because of the move, but frankly I am not convinced so I am planning to go back soon. I didn't have this issue last time I started primal, but then again I was on the pill last time too. SO I don't have any answers, but I am having similar issues so I feel your pain! Never been tested for any hormone issues. I had an awful diet prior to primal initially though, sadly.

little vase is online now Senior Member
    I noticed that my hormones seemed more in balance as soon as I went primal (i.e. - no more bitch face) but I never really felt much improvement after that initial rebalancing. That was last October. I started taking vitex (chasteberry) about a month ago, and using a progesterone cream topically. I feel freaking amazing now. I have not had any panels or tests done and am going strictly by how I feel, which is great. I feel very grounded and balanced and not moody.

Another thing I did when I started taking the vitex and progesterone was to stop eating so much red meat. I have a steak once every few weeks now. I am eating mainly fish and seafood for my proteins, with the occasional rice and beans thrown in for good measure. I think eating less red meat really agrees with me, in so many ways.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Aldergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    That's funny that you mention the nettle. I bought dried nettle to make tea with because I read that it's amazing for circulation. I'm not crazy about the taste, but I'll give it another go
    I don't think it's just my pregnancy hormones that have me liking nettle. I enjoyed drinking nettle tea before I got pregnant--but we also had fresh leaves, rather than dehydrated ones. Knifegill actually recently stumbled across a really yummy way to eat it. He turns a skillet on medium-low, puts about a tbsp of butter in. Once the butter is melted, he throws in about 20 leaves and puts the lid on. Now, I would have thought they'd turn to mush, but instead they get all crispy! Because of the calcium salts they have, they end up salty, too. So, all together, they are salty, buttery and crispy. Better than kale chips! I'm definitely going to make some more today! Mmmmmm!

Aingealag is offline Member
    Thanks for the tips and for sharing your stories ladies, makes me feel much better that it's all been done before and will -probably - be a happy end for me. I get the feeling it's my left ovary that's giving me the sh!ts (ultrasound was clear) and the skin on my left chin/cheek is really bumpy and dry. They say that with hormonal acne, if there's an imbalance in one ovary/fallopian tube, that the chin acne will show up on the troublesome side. So I wouldn't be surprised if this sudden dry skin is related too!

Aldergirl: I haven't tracked my diet the past few weeks, but when I do keep a food diary, I find I eat enough. Around 1900 calories, which is enough for me, because I'm not very active. I maintain a healthy weight easily (73kg at 6ft tall) -which is apparently strange considering my thyroid is quite underactive.

I've been drinking raspberry leaf too as well and making sure I get enough B vitamins as well as drinking a naturopath's seriously faul-tasting concoction of chasteberry and supporting herbs to balance hormones I finished that bottle last week so here's to hoping that boosts my progesterone over time :s

Quote Originally Posted by Aingealag View Post
    Aldergirl: I haven't tracked my diet the past few weeks, but when I do keep a food diary, I find I eat enough. Around 1900 calories, which is enough for me, because I'm not very active. I maintain a healthy weight easily (73kg at 6ft tall) -which is apparently strange considering my thyroid is quite underactive.
    I don't think it's strange that you easily maintain your weight at 1,900 calories--it really doesn't seem like that much food, even for being sedentary. Your thyroid might be underactive because you eat so little? I see quite a few websites that say starvation brings about a underactive thyroid, though I really have never done serious research on the subject...

Aldergirl: I calculated my calorie target at a few reputable sources. It's based on RMR (resting metabolic rate) for my age, gender, height and lifestyle. Most of the time it comes up at about 1850. I eat whenever I feel like it, never stingy when scooping fats onto my plate and I'm never hungry! Although I don't think starvation is an issue for me, it is an interesting notion about my thyroid... I just assumed lately it was underactive because my dose of Thyroxine was too low... Food for thought haha what a delicious pun eh? But I digress..

Thanks for taking the time to lend me advice!

No problem! I hate when my body doesn't work right and I can't figure out what's wrong, and I know it can't be fun going through what your dealing with. Hopefully you'll find your answer and your hormones will balance back out!

MooseM is offline Junior Member
    Hello,
    I was contemplating starting a thread here today out of desperation but found your thread and thought maybe someone reading this could help me. I am at a loss for what to do. I went primal in January of 2012 and have been ever since. At first I felt absolutely amazing. I had so much energy and felt so alive. I had been suffering with headaches that had reached an almost daily occurrence level with occasional migraines on top of that. I was desperate for something as I was really getting concerned about how much OTC medications I was having to take. Once I went primal, those headaches went away and for the first time in forever I felt like I could actually enjoy life without having to worry when the day's headache would hit me. But now, over the past couple months, I have gone down hill at a rapid rate. I am having daily headaches again. I had 3 migraines this month alone, I have ZERO energy, always (every single day) wake up feeling like I never went to sleep, totally unrested. I have absolutely no sex drive anymore probably because I either have a headache or am too tired..like..whole-body tired and my joints ache all the time. On top of this I am always bloated. I look 5 months pregnant all the time. My cycles however are regular and I have never had cramps.

Maybe I should give you some background though. I am a 52 yr old female. I have never been sick except for the occasional flu or cold. I have no health issues what so ever except for what I mentioned above. I don't smoke, don't drink except for the occasional social drink with dinner, don't eat processed foods anymore and even before going primal only ate them a tiny bit, like canned soup or lunch meat but that's pretty much it. No heat-n-eat stuff ever. I've always eaten healthy. I weigh 136, am about 5'6" and have been a size 4 since high school. Since going primal I now eat organic, gmo free every single chance I can, follow the primal diet as closely as I can, only use a little bit of sugar when I have to and then it's xylitol, honey or coconut sugar or maple syrup I made myself. The only dairy I eat is grass fed butter and grass fed cheese. I use only olive oil or coconut oil, make my own lard, and use no soy. I don't get alot of fresh fish so I do take Blue Ice fermented cod liver oil on occasion when I feel I need it. So I really don't know what else I can do diet-wise.

I've also noticed lately that my hair is extremely "straw-ish" and falls out in huge amounts when I shampoo it. I've switched all my bath products to organic or chem-free as well. With all the fat and oils I consume I am surprised my hair is so dry and tangly all the time. (I have very thick coarse textured hair). I truly feel like I'm falling apart at the seams. I have a headache as I type this that again, I woke up with. I've spent countless dollars on pillows and mattresses trying to figure out how to get better sleep.

I don't really want to go to a Dr. to be put thru a mirage of medical tests that I may not need plus I don't have the money for that. I steer clear of pharmaceuticals. I do however see a chiropractor regularly.
    I can't tell you my protein/carb ratio because I have never had any luck trying to count that out. I don't understand how you all figure that out quite honestly. But a typical day's food for me is 2 eggs for breakfast, usually with a couple strips uncured bacon, a big salad for lunch with mixed greens, cheese, nuts, and home made dressing, sometimes I put albacore tuna or avacado on it, and for dinner we usually have roasted, grilled or baked chicken, pork or beef, a good veggie like brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, green beans, kale or something like that. Very few potatoes though and I only snack on dark chocolate (70-77%) or some fruit (cherries, blueberries, clementines or strawberries usually).

So someone, please help me figure this out because I am truly at a loss at this point and so disappointed because I felt so amazing when I went primal. I haven't really changed anything from then to now nutrition wise.

Thanks in advance

Hi MooseM,

I'm about to hit the sack, so just writing a quick message on my phone:

It's so worth getting a blood test to check vitamins, minerals, thyroid etc. It really sounds like it could be your thyroid! I have autoimmune thyroiditis so I know what I'm talking about. Once you know what's going on, you can deal with it properly.

Wishing you all the best!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast