Thread: Lara Bars, they ok? page

danceswithducks is offline Junior Member

Lara Bars, they ok?

Are Lara Bars ok for a quick snack if your hungry! I am a firefighter and if we are out for long periods of time I need a snack. I used to have granola bars but since switching to the PB I need a change. Let me know what you think of the Lara Bars.

lecz0r is offline Senior Member
    I've heard folks say they're OKish... the best option for something prepackaged, but they recommended to keep em at a minimum. Dried fruits are more condensed than regular fruits so they've got more of the stuff that you want to keep down like carbs, sugars, etc.
    Why not bring along some fresh fruit, nuts, carrots, celery type stuff?

lecz0r is offline Senior Member
    PS - thanks for being a firefighter.
    I was awoken this morning at 4am from sirens... the building about 200 yards from my house was blazing. The whole scene really put things into a perspective that I didn't have before and I'm honored that people like you step up to do such work. *bow*

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    I eat them all the time when I'm hiking/climbing/etc ... they are good for situations when having a quick, pre-packaged snack is convenient, but I wouldn't eat them for a snack like when I'm in class or just around the house.
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Gregory Grok is offline Member
    I enjoy them and I would definitely recommend them. I'm big on taste and enjoy products with as many natural ingredients as possible; in this regard they work well for me. I'm not a big stickler for details and nutritional info so I won't comment on them from that perspective. My favorites are the pecan pie and banana nut bar.

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    A-yep, when it comes to the occasional pre-packaged snack, it's hard to beat these. Just a look at the ingredients list alone is a breath of fresh air. Usually just a couple of things and nothing "weird." I wouldn't eat 'em every day, though. Lots of dried fruit = lots of sugar. And too many nuts tips the omega-3 : omega-6 ratio too much towards the latter. But I'll take em over a Snickers any day of the week.
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

jermicide is offline Member
    pemmican

livingprimal is offline Senior Member
    Lara Bars are definitely on my approved list, just on a limited basis. As others have said, they are high in sugar due to the dried fruit, but they work in a pinch. I take them with me whenever I travel, jsut in case. Some favorites to try: Cherry Pie, Coconut Cream Pie, and the Chocolat line.....almost as good as a brownie without the guilt!

And thanks for being a firefighter....your service is much appreciated.

Spinner is offline Senior Member
    First off, thanks for being a firefighter!

I keep Lara Bars around if I need a good, quick something when my blood sugar tanks (I have had a few fun ones around the lower 50's/upper 40's that can be interesting, to say the least!) and they are good for that. But I try to use other items (like tomato juice), but they are great if I am running around away from home. And I like the fact that the ingredients are all easy to pronounce!

But for snacks, what about beef jerky, pemmican, nuts/home made trail mix, veggies, hard boiled eggs/scotch eggs--hard boiled eggs wrapped in ground sausage and fried or baked (if you have a way to keep cold), pork rinds, chunks of good pepperoni/salami/sausages (can be out for a while and still be ok). For ideas if you can't keep cold, check out some of the links for SCA camping with out coolers. Serious! They have lists of food items that can go without refrigeration. Granted, some will be the typical grain laced items, but they do have some good ideas.
    Last edited by Spinner; 06-01-2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: lost and then found train of thought
    Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

mdale2 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I like them when I need quick energy. They've got a lot of sugar, but in a situation where you're sweating bullets, carrying heavy stuff, AND hungry, they're awesome. Plus, they totally beat the usual fare that's (sometimes) provided on the fire scene at long calls - hot dogs, hamburgers, sketchy looking cheese slices, funky deli meat. You can toss them in your gear or in the truck without a lot of mess, too. Pemmican would unfortunately become a melty mess on most calls unless you have somewhere cold to put it.