Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dairy page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

dairy

Primal Fuel
    I'm eating less meat now and considering more dairy for protein.

What are the best choices for dairy?

I don't have access to raw milk products.

I don't tolerate pasteurized milk well, but am fine w/ other milk products. I really like cheese and sour cream especially.

I've read a few threads about people eating Peat-inspired diets consuming more dairy and less meat. Interested to know what are the best sources of dairy for this. And reasons for choosing full-fat, low-fat, fat-free?

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    May I ask why..,?

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Also you'd have to consume a lot of dairy to get enough protein, and along with that comes a lot of sugar/carbs.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Dairy has comparable protein of better quality actually, and i'd like to see any meat touch cottage cheese in protein ratio. and who cares about carbs? Plus only milk and yogurt contain a lot of lactose, cheese doesnt. Parmesan and gouda are excellent choices for cheeses, and cottage cheese can give you all the protein you need, 32oz is 112g
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    Also you'd have to consume a lot of dairy to get enough protein, and along with that comes a lot of sugar/carbs.
    I'm not avoiding carbs. Even without trying to avoid, I usually end up 250-300g per day max. And much happier with the food choices available.

A lot of meat is no longer appetizing.

ETA: I'm only 5'4" and around 105-110 lbs, so my protein requirements are not very high.
    Last edited by girlhk; 08-18-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Dairy has comparable protein of better quality actually, and i'd like to see any meat touch cottage cheese in protein ratio. and who cares about carbs? Plus only milk and yogurt contain a lot of lactose, cheese doesnt. Parmesan and gouda are excellent choices for cheeses, and cottage cheese can give you all the protein you need, 32oz is 112g
    Thanks...

How do you determine which protein is of better quality?

Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Thanks...

How do you determine which protein is of better quality?
    Amino acid ratios. American cows have higher tryptophan in their milk, but the calcium ratio helps convert excess to vitamin b3 instead of serotonin. Daisy brand cottage cheese has no gums or junk in it, btw, it's what I eat.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Full fat cottage cheese (ie real cottage cheese) is 11% protein by weight. Low fat cottage cheese is little different. Most meats are around 20%. Source is nutritiondata.com
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Real is subjective. Besides full fat cottage cheese doesn't exist in stores, it's 4% at most

2% is 56g for 320 calories

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Daisy brand cottage cheese has no gums or junk in it, btw, it's what I eat.
    I second this. Tastes great, loaded with protein.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast