Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: dairy page 5

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post

I'm a cheese lover, and never considered them part of my 20. The runnier and stinkier the better.

That said, in the context of calories, I limit my intake. Since I suck at small portions, I give myself the occasional cheese day where just about all of my calories come from cheese. Not surprisingly, these days coincide with trips to WFoods.
    I agree that stinkier is better

Yeah, it's easier for me to have a cheese day than limit portions. It's a lot easier to eat cheese than meat because meat takes time to cook.

Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    Well if it only one percent more protein then stuff that
    I thought might be double or triple the protein of full fat - I'll continue with full fat cottage.

Have you seen the new Zero percent fat greek yogurt in the shops? ( yeah crazy I know )
    But the protein is three times that of full fat Greek yogurt and the sugars are lower ( no idea what it tastes like - probably not good).
    Fat-free greek yogurt is actually pretty good. I usually don't get fat-free anything but I make exception for greek yogurt.

But unfortunately, no more greek yogurt for me. On this island, imported Greek yogurt is crazy expensive.. I'd rather go without, spend it on something else (cheese!).

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    How's milk prices? Making your own isn't really hard.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    How's milk prices? Making your own isn't really hard.

M.
    Milk price is alright. I buy it to to make yogurt for mixing in curries.

peril is offline Senior Member
    I eat cheese almost every day. I finish dinner with a plate of cheeses between 100-200g and a generous glass of red wine. It is my heart tonic (Vitamins A & K2 from the cheese and reveratrol from the wine). Don't bother to correct this misconception - I'm not listening

And hard cheeses like cheddar are up to 25% protein, but the vitamins are most important, which is why I don't go near low-fat dairy. I won't pay someone to make my food less nutritious
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    I eat cheese almost every day. I finish dinner with a plate of cheeses between 100-200g and a generous glass of red wine. It is my heart tonic (Vitamins A & K2 from the cheese and reveratrol from the wine). Don't bother to correct this misconception - I'm not listening
    Sounds good to me

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    And hard cheeses like cheddar are up to 25% protein, but the vitamins are most important, which is why I don't go near low-fat dairy. I won't pay someone to make my food less nutritious
    Yep makes sense.

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member
    Yes - if it's real Parmesan (Parmiggiano Reggiano) it will be raw. And it benefits by not denaturing the proteins (making allergic reaction less likely) and by default not being homogenised either (which also denatures proteins). If anything the ageing process makes it more digestible - it futrther reduces the lactose content (which ends up at zero by the time it is sold) and there is some other benefit from the ageing too but I can't remember the details now and can't really go looking as nursing youngest pigling and stuck with only phone and one free hand! Anyway - it's delicious :-)

Parmesan is the classic cheese to try first if making a tentative reintrodution with dairy after an elimination for gut health. If you don't react to Parmesan, proceed with caution. But in fact Pecorino (same process, but from sheep milk) or Gruyere would probably do the job just as well.

Brie de Meux and Roquefort (sheep) are also raw by appellation. And delicious. Soft though so some (small) lactose content.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freerangepiglings View Post
    Brie de Meux and Roquefort (sheep) are also raw by appellation. And delicious. Soft though so some (small) lactose content.
    It's Brie de Meaux

And I agree, one of my favorite cheeses. I have access to other raw milk based cheeses from France: Camembert de Normandie, Livarot, Pont-L'Evèque, Coulommier, various Tommes (de Savoie, des Pyrénées, etc), ..., the list is long! I also heard that in France, cheese producers prefer the A2 type of milk because its protein curds better. I am not sure if all French cheeses are A2 only, but chances are that it is will have little A1 due to its poorer properties for cheese prod.

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member
    Typos were inevitable due to the one-handed nursing/typing - I am sure there are plenty more to be found in my post if anyone would care to edit them!

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freerangepiglings View Post
    Typos were inevitable due to the one-handed nursing/typing - I am sure there are plenty more to be found in my post if anyone would care to edit them!
    No prob, it is good for the record to have the proper name so that anyone can quickly look it up. Nursing ... yeah, I remember those days (one of my kids was on bottles rather than breast so I gladly shared the load at the time .... glad I am out of it ...)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast