Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: dairy page 4

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Greek yogurt is my go-to for when I don't feel like eating meat.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Full fat cottage cheese (ie real cottage cheese) is 11% protein by weight. Low fat cottage cheese is little different
    I'm assuming reduced fat cottage cheese has higher protein.

Tonight I bought some reduced fat cottage cheese ( thinking it was full fat - only noticed when I got home).

Taste and texture admittedly not as good as full fat but if the protein is in fact much higher then why should not eat it? ( if I don't mind it's taste)
    Is it that it's not healthy ( or as healthy) to consume it ( why? Eg bad processing, junk stuffs added?).
    Is it just against the philosophy of primal, or just not traditional cottage cheese?

I certainly get plenty of 'primal approved' good fats from many food sources and could do with increasing a bit of protein - what's wrong with reduced fat cottage cheese in this case?

Genuine question.
    Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 08-19-2013 at 04:53 AM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Reduced fat cottage cheese is about 12% protein. As I wrote, little different. Derpy is right though, very hard to find cottage cheese with more than 4% fat. Nothing wrong with reduced fat so long as there are no bad ingredients but dairy fat is rich in vitamins so it is a shame to eschew it
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Reduced fat cottage cheese is about 12% protein. As I wrote, little different. Derpy is right though, very hard to find cottage cheese with more than 4% fat. Nothing wrong with reduced fat so long as there are no bad ingredients but dairy fat is rich in vitamins so it is a shame to eschew it
    Well if it only one percent more protein then stuff that
    I thought might be double or triple the protein of full fat - I'll continue with full fat cottage.

Have you seen the new Zero percent fat greek yogurt in the shops? ( yeah crazy I know )
    But the protein is three times that of full fat Greek yogurt and the sugars are lower ( no idea what it tastes like - probably not good).

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I didn't notice that the grass fed yogurt I bought at the farmers market was fat free 'til I got it home. It was delicious. I ate some plain and smeared a whole bunch on top of some baked eggplant that I stuffed with ground lamb and green tomatoes.

I'm a cheese lover, and never considered them part of my 20. The runnier and stinkier the better. When I go to WFoods, I usually try to get at least one cheese from each: goat, cow, and sheep. And chevre, of course so I can make jewshi, which is lox and chevre wrapped in nori.

That said, in the context of calories, I limit my intake. Since I suck at small portions, I give myself the occasional cheese day where just about all of my calories come from cheese. Not surprisingly, these days coincide with trips to WFoods.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Dairy's where I get a bulk of my "not fat and protein". I'm not as technical with my dieting as some of the more esteemed members here, but I haven't noticed anything horribad going on. I'm a particular fan of yogurt, especially strained "Greek" style. It has spoiled me for regular "runny" yogurt, unfortunately. Cheese is also very great. I did not think of parmesan as being a raw milk cheese. This is something I'll have to read into. What's the real benefit of it being raw? I figured making cheese would kind of alter the benefits of raw milk, but maybe I'm wrong.

Now, take everything I say with the caveat that most of my dairy is conventional, non-hormone treated stuff. All the available organic milk is Ultra Pasturized, which this community has informed me is the pits. Grass-fed is even more difficult to acquire. Raw's illegal. Legalites here apparently do stings, so no herders will even entertain the idea of trading for milk, even if I want to make cheese with it.

The local health food store will occasionally get grass fed, pasteurized non-homogenized milk. I snatch that up as fast as I can, but as a car-free guy the 12 mile trip is a bit difficult to make regularly.

Milk is also very addictive. I can easily down a half gallon in a single sitting. Often that's all I'll have for the day, but sometimes not.

M.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Scary. I buy raw milk in a hippie store downtown.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

dallytante is offline Member
    Jewshi? Try again.

dallytante is offline Member
    Is anybody concerned about the effects possible effects of IGF-1?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I normally make my own quark from 1% organic milk (make kefir first, then make the curd separate on very low heat, strain/press away away the liquid).

If i do not have this, I buy dry curd 0.4% cottage cheese. It has absolutely nothing added and I prefer the drier texture (that's 22 g protein, 2 g carbs, no fat).

I also buy Liberte Greek Yogurt that is like 18 g protein and 6 g carbs, no fat, nothing added.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast