Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: We need a new name! page 4

wiltondeportes Guest

Smile

Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    There are plenty of wild blueberries around here, maybe not where you live. They were a major crop for native Americans in this region. A person with access to the right property and free time could easily pick gallons in season. Many do.
    Ok, poor wording. Blueberries in the market are much much smaller than the wild ones.

Apples and carrots existed too, but they were small and very bitter.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Sure, why not? You're intelligent. Put up a website. Do some research. Sell Primitive Farmboy Bars. And most of all, pretty much hint at effortless weight loss.
    So I should be a scam artist?

Meh, the internet is boring. Social media is crap, news outlets are monetized and crap. There is an alternative side with a few nuggets. I *could* join the good guys some day and create a page.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 08-18-2013 at 11:57 PM.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    LOL, this is a fun exercise. I guess I'd call mine the "I found it growing in the ground, or it ate things that grew in the ground, nobody added poison to it, OR it has a history of being consumed by healthy populations OR some science seemed to show benefits to consuming this, even if it is slightly processed AND it didn't give me diarrhea or almost make me go blind or constipate me" diet. But that's just not very catchy.
    You missed "if it had a face or had the potential to have had one, or if it consumed something that had a face"
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

wiltondeportes Guest
    Here are my conclusions.

Why Americans are fat
    - GMO flour, GMO sugar, GMO oil
    - excess flour and sugar
    - less saturated and monounsatured fat, more polyunsaturated fat
    - less exercise
    - less sleep

A "primitive farmboy" may include all sources of food, but they should be varied and prepared properly. There is a long list of organic compounds (proteins, carbs, fats, vitamins) and non-organic compounds (minerals) that the body needs. The explanation of how to best meet those needs would be a much longer article.

That's how I see nutrition.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 08-19-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    The paleolithic people did not eat blueberries, carrots, apples, tomatoes, broccoli, and chicken among others because these are recently (comparatively) hybridized foods. Granted, I do believe there could have been equivalently sweet and tasty fruits around at that time. The point is that even your so called 'Paleo' diet has almost nothing truly paleolithic about it. So let's make do with what we have available through our form of agriculture (unless you prefer starting a 100+ person tribe and owning 100,000 acres for your use).
    Would prefer & envision 10 person tribe & 100 acres w/ a year round creek, or if it's an island, waterfall would be ideal. 10 years ago I came very close to buying a 10 acre fruit farm in Hawai'i w/ a 2 story unfinished/off the grid house, oceanview from the 2nd story. There were honey bees nesting in the downstairs unfinished bathroom, wild boars on the property. It's all a matter of scale.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    So what do we have? Hooved mammals, small mammals with feet (like rabbit), fish, bi-valves (oysters), arthropodae malacostracan class (lobsters, crabs, shrimp), arthropodae insect class (beetles, grasshoppers, cockroaches, larvae), amphibians (frogs), birds, dairy, eggs, fruits, cruciferous vegetables, leafy greens, roots, tubers, bulbs, corms, rhizomes, grains, pseudo grains, legumes, seeds, nuts, nectars (honey and syrup).

So how varied is your diet now that you see your choices?
    Ok, so excepting insects,corms & frogs, I've eaten something from every group you've listed in the last 7 days. However in the past, I've eaten & enjoyed plenty of fried bugs in Asia (grubs, ants, spiders), with hands-down grasshopper's being my all-time favorite. Like salty pretzel w/ legs. Couldn't ever bring myself to eat the waterbugs (giant cockroaches).
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Would prefer & envision 10 person tribe & 100 acres w/ a year round creek, or if it's an island, waterfall would be ideal. 10 years ago I came very close to buying a 10 acre fruit farm in Hawai'i w/ a 2 story unfinished/off the grid house, oceanview from the 2nd story. There were honey bees nesting in the downstairs unfinished bathroom, wild boars on the property. It's all a matter of scale.

Ok, so excepting insects,corms & frogs, I've eaten something from every group you've listed in the last 7 days. However in the past, I've eaten & enjoyed plenty of fried bugs in Asia (grubs, ants, spiders), with hands-down grasshopper's being my all-time favorite. Like salty pretzel w/ legs. Couldn't ever bring myself to eat the waterbugs (giant cockroaches).
    Well, put that way, I would like a spread of land to live off of too. A trout stream, mammals to hunt, bushes and trees to pick, a garden to keep, a cellar to store... Me and my best friend from growing up might do it someday.

I think I misunderstood. We're on the same page. (Damn young blood, always itching for a fight)

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldergirl View Post
    My mom only has 8 blueberry bushes, and she gets at least 3 gallons out of them. Blueberries are an awesome crop. I can't wait until next year when I'll get to start harvesting from my 7 bushes!
    The bushes you are talking about are modern domestic ones. Wild blueberry bushes are no more than a foot tall and can probably provide a handful of berries each in a season. To collect gallons of wild blueberries one would need an acre or more of a prime blueberry field.

wiltondeportes Guest
    The bushes you are talking about are modern domestic ones. Wild blueberry bushes are no more than a foot tall and can probably provide a handful of berries each in a season. To collect gallons of wild blueberries one would need an acre or more of a prime blueberry field.
    Exactly my point!

fresa is offline Member
    Wild blueberry bushes are no more than a foot tall and can probably provide a handful of berries each in a season. To collect gallons of wild blueberries one would need an acre or more of a prime blueberry field.
    This is my experience with blueberries and apples as well, judging from where I live. Same deal with strawberries. The wild bushes produce very little fruit, and the ones they do create are no larger than a half inch long. Blackberry bushes, on the other hand, produce fruit like crazy. They aren't nearly as large as those that are found in grocery stores (I was in shock the first time I saw those), but they are infinitely more flavorful.

We are full into the blackberry season here, so I am in crazy-berry-lady mode

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    We can come up with any name that we want to and we're still going to have to launch into an explanation of it every single time we mention it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234