Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paleo + Kids page

Owen is offline Senior Member

Paleo + Kids

Primal Fuel
    Hi could I get some advice from any paleo parents out there? My relatives have started asking me about my diet and asking for advice - some of them have children and I don't. I'm reluctant to advise them that feeding their kids bread and pasta is bad - these kids are already healthy and slim, and are energy furnaces like most children! What do you guys do regards this issue?

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Processed foods do their damage over many years so it's easy to be skeptical. Maybe focus on nourishment and point out how the bread and pasta don't contain as much as squashes, yams, and fruits. I notice a lot of families fall into the bread/pasta trap because the kids grow too attached to the familiar and refuse to try new things, so maybe the best approach is to share recipes and photos reminding them of all the great alternatives out there.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    My son is paleo but also unrestricted. That is, since his school serves home made buns (which the kids make), he eats them.

At home, he eats everything from root to fruit and all kinds of meat and stuff. He also gets raw yogurt, etc.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i found this shortly after giving up grains. it was before i found primal and was one of the things that convinced me never to add them back:

Nutrition and health in agriculturalists and hunter-gatherers The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

the nutritional profile of even a simple white potato vs a pile of pasta or some bread should be answer enough. they are nothing but empty carbs, while a potato contains vitamin c, potassium, b6, manganese, etc. kids need not be low-carb, but do not need grains -- especially crap gmo grains finished with krap oils and hfcs. veggies, tubers, fruits, all good. kids were healthy and slim long before hot pockets and cheerios.

as already mentioned, the damage from grains is insidious, but the taste for sweets they promote is instant imprinting and as many of us know, can be a bear to break. just like with adults they can crowd out more nutritious food choices, but leave you hungry just a few hours later.

many american kids are low on iron. anybody in your family feeding their baby liver?

i'd suggest just giving these people info to read. if they want to really make changes, they will have the knowledge to do so. unless they are willing to walk the walk themselves, how will they help their kids?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Hi could I get some advice from any paleo parents out there? My relatives have started asking me about my diet and asking for advice - some of them have children and I don't. I'm reluctant to advise them that feeding their kids bread and pasta is bad - these kids are already healthy and slim, and are energy furnaces like most children! What do you guys do regards this issue?
    Yeah, kids need a lot more carbs than adults do.

Here's what we do with our kids:
    1. No wheat based products in the hosue (but LOTS of fruit, and meals always include rice/potatoes/kumara)
    2. No junk food like chips etc
    3. Let them eat whatever when we are out at functions like a shared meal

I'd be a bit hesitant to tell them not to let their kids eat bread, that's really the sort of thing they need to decide for themselves when they get more into the diet.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    What do I do. A completely honest answer:

Eat most meals at home. Home is 100% Primal + unlimited fruit, tubers, and some rice based stuff. But I let my kids self regulate. Some days they don't eat much besides their meat. Some days they eat a ton of fruit. Whatever in my book.

When out one kids meal is 100% primal and the other is given some free reign.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-18-2013 at 04:35 PM.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    At home, my kid eats a lot of rice cooked in broth everyday, and also eggs, liver, homemade chocolate, coconut, fruits like bananas, watermelon, etc. I make 'cake' with ripe bananas, egg, molasses, butter/coconut oil.

When she's out and she sees bread or pasta, that's what she wants.

I don't want her to be neurotic towards food so I just let her have whatever she asks for. But I always ask other adults not to offer her candy or cookies or processed stuff. They think I'm too restrictive, but oh well.

coyneiblake is offline Junior Member
    Isn't hard to introduce kids to primal living?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    no, it's not hard.

unless they are junk food junkies. in which case, it's hard.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    define hard? as kids mature and explore independence they try out all sorts of power-grabby, controlling things and food is an excellent vehicle for this. doesn't matter if they eat primal or sad.

until a certain age, they can only eat what's in the house, right? as they get older, yes, they make their own choices elsewhere, but that's true of anything they do in school or with friends. all you can do is set a solid foundation.

on a food board i frequent, a mother was recently bemoaning that her 4-year-old won't eat typical "kid's foods" that get packed for her lunch. the mom sends along pasta salad, granola bars and trader joe's ravioli, all of which come home mostly untouched. when she sends some left-over chicken or steak it gets devoured. the mom was not connecting what the kid actually liked vs. her own perception of what kids "should" want to eat.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast