Thread: Fish stock - am I doing it right? page

Owen is offline Senior Member

Fish stock - am I doing it right?

Primal Fuel
    Just cooked a delicious mackerel in the oven. Now I'm left with the head and bones. When I cook a whole fish in the oven, I then take the already cooked head and bones and make a stock - I find it works quite well. But all the recipes I've seen seem to use the raw head and bones instead. I tried this with a large sea trout and the result was a very strong 'sea-tasting' stock that just didn't taste right. Am I missing something? Does it depend on the type of fish you use?

Also, general question - when making stock is it best to remove the skin, either from fish or poultry?

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I've only used raw fish bones. Cooked bones will generally give a strong flavor for better or worse (e.g. roasted lamb is a little too intense for me).

By all means include the skin for more collagen. You can make "bone" stock with a whole animal after all.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I have also only used raw bones, but if you like the result of what you are doing, keep it up.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

peril is offline Senior Member
    Different fish will give different flavoured stocks. Eg tuna is distinctive. I use raw head and bones. The result is fishy and not something I'm inclined to drink as is, but when seasoned provides a nice lift to a range of meats
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    For fish stock some of that strong flavor you are noticing can be balanced if you saute celery, carrot and onions in butter (classic mirepoix), it will add complexity to the stock. Adding white wine and parsley stems is also tasty.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    With stocks I always use carrot, onion, celery, bay leaf, seasoning, parsley and white wine if I have it. It may have just been the type of fish I used that didn't work well.

Having said that, I recommend using cooked fish head and bones in a stock, it does result in a very drinkable and delicious broth, fish tasting but in a mellow way.