Thread: Post workout crash?? page

Meadow is offline Senior Member

Post workout crash??

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I did not know if this should go in fitness, nutrition, or otherwise.....but since I might need to adjust my food intake, into nutrition it goes.

Today I am dragging. Super sore, tired, sore throat, just not feeling great. Having trouble deciding if this is just a workout overdone while very low carb, maybe I am getting sick, or allergies, or what. Thought I would bounce it off the forum experience.

Yesterday I had a hard workout (went to the motocross track and it was in rough condition, so I got a larger then expected workout). I ate plenty of calories yesterday, actually consciously increased them, but I was lean on the carbs....probably under 50g. I focused on increasing fats and protein intake, and I did drink some coconut water.

Quick back history....I have eaten some version of 'low carb' for several years now, fluctuating up and down depending on my health, but always eating natural and always gluten free. About 5 weeks ago I really cleaned things up and have been getting back to what I now define as a primal lifestyle rather then 'low carb'. I probably averaged between 30-60g of carbs a day in May. Felt good, had about one intense workout a week with no problems (very little soreness), was walking or hiking 2-3 days a week, and tons of yard and housework.

Saturday night was my first real major 'cheat' since my transition, I ate fine, but I drank alcohol which I tend to avoid and far more then I wanted to. Sunday I was tired, but nothing terrible. Ate well on Sunday, rehydrated, and felt fine by Monday. Monday we went to the track and I worked out for probably an hour or so of total exercise (over the course of 3 hrs), but it was at a very high intensity.

Could not sleep last night (rare for me), and I am super dragging today. More sore then I have been in eons, and the odd sore throat.

Now, I rarely have allergies, usually very mild......and I cannot recall the last time I was sick. Sometimes I feel bad for a few hours, and then it passes. I have taken Vit D, Vit C, Echinacea, etc to try and boost the immune system just in case this is illness related. I do have the partial belief that some illnesses are used for healing of the system, so I have that in the back of my mind.

Could this be like a 'detox' after intensely pushing my muscles? I have a history of Candida (yeast overgrowth) specifically associated with muscle pain, so detox and achy days are not unknown to me, but its been a long time since I have been this bad.

Is this something commonly seen when going back down to a low carb intake.......if so, is there anything I can adjust to avoid this in the future? I am drinking water, anything else I could add to help flush this out?

Thanks!!

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like over training.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Well, it looks like I am getting sick...bummer. I am really not sore anymore....I knew it was a hard workout but did not think I overdid it THAT much. My throat is getting worse and now my head is stuffy. Bleh. I have not been full blown sick in I do not know how long. Probably the lack of good sleep over the weekend because I indulged in drinking.

Oh well, maybe I can kick this in the bum and feel better by tomorrow like I usually do. Off to bed!