Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Eliminate Legumes? page

Atl Guest

Primal Fuel

I like this site and the philosophy promoted, but there is one dietary restriction that I do not understand. That is the restriction on legumes. Beans are known to have been one of the 3 staples of most Native American tribes....beans, corn, and squash. These people lived in a stone age way eating and cultivating these foods long before the arrival of the Europeans. Two of the most basic food items to the Tarahumara in Mexico is corn (pinole), and beans. This is ancient tradition dating back many thousands of years. They are known to be some of the healthiest, long lived, and athletic people around. Beans are high in calories, low glycemic, and full of protein....so what gives?

Jedi is offline Member

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/beans-legumes-carbs/

in general the primal blueprint goes back to pre agricultural foods, eaten by hunter gatherers ie more than 10,000 years ago.

Agnieszka Guest

I'm in the midst of "primalizing" my pantry and was just wondering whether I should get rid of all my beans. I found this bit that might be helpful:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/beans-legumes-carbs/

grandma is offline Member

Lectins.......

Why are they a problem now when they don't appear to have been a problem in the past. Could be 2 reasons. 1. cooking practices, traditional methods of preparing beans involved soaking, now they come in a can, who knows what how they got there. 2. Modern drugs, sterile environments, etc mess with the permeability and bio-activity of the gut. I also have a theory that it could be because of messed up Omega 6:3 ratio has our cells in a bad state to begin with so when these rouge proteins come along.....

I have unsuccessfully been looking for data on which beans have the least concentration of lectins. Because I like them and would consider including some (more I already include some) when I want.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Madame P is offline Junior Member

From a nutritional point of view, I restrict beans because they are full of carbohydrates. Low GI or high GI doesn't matter to me... it's still glucose.

maba is offline Senior Member

Here's a link from WAPF.

http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/cooking-legumes.html

I like to think I'm primal but I still eat some legumes. I usually sprout them to remove the anti-nutrients and to enhance the vitamin profile and reduce the carb content. Lentils are amongst the easiest to sprout. Soak them in water for a couple of hours. Drain the water and roll them in a cheese cloth or 2-3 layers of paper/kitchen towel. Leave the bundle in a colander and sprinkle water every now and then to ensure they are not completely dried out and within 2 days, you'll have really long sprouts.

word of caution -- not all sprouted legumes can be eaten raw --- kidney bean eaten raw cause projectile vomiting!!! Some bean should be cooked even after sprouting.

Maba, I have only ever seen lentils sprouted to very short sprouts -- are they good when they are long? Do they have to be cooked?

Atl Guest

Well, lectins are in all foods. Certain one's can effect an allergic reaction in certain people...like peanuts. However, if one is not susceptible to that allergy then there is no problem. Eastern Native Americans certainly lived in the "caveman" way, and consumed lots of beans. As far as carbohydrates go as long as they are whole carbs and you are getting plenty of exercise they are not a problem. The Tarahumara certainly are not fat on a %50 corn diet. I am not trying to down the basic philosophy here...I like it. I just don't understand Mark's prohibition on beans. Yeah, soy is not cool, but banning beans because soy is a bean is like banning spinach because poison ivy is a leafy green plant.

You asked, we answered.... now you know... do as you see fit.

Atl Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

No I don't think anyone explained why Mark has this prohibition...so it is not at all answered. All I heard was a few differing opinions about it.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast