Thread: Spelt Flour page

Soulrunner is offline Member

Spelt Flour

Shop Now
    I'm just wondering how bad/good spelt flour is. I'm not gluten intolerant. I'd like to occasionally have pasta and pancakes, is using spelt a good option for a primal eater looking to indulge?
    Go sell crazy somewhere else.........we're all stocked up here.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    you can get organic spelt flour, its supposedly not as messed about as wheat. i've used spelt preprimal and it gives a heavier, denser product than wheat but it tastes good.
    I suppose that the primal message about grains holds true with this too though " And donít go rushing out to buy artisan einkorn bread and spelt fusilli or anything like that. Ancient wheat is still wheat, itís still a grain, itís still got gluten, and itís still problematic for a lot of people."
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Soulrunner is offline Member
    Yeah it does taste good and it makes tasty home made pasta.

Good work with your weight loss there.
    Go sell crazy somewhere else.........we're all stocked up here.

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member
    I think rice pasta would be a less bad option and more in line with Primal. No it's not as nice as spelt pasta (which is very nice), but it's a lot less troublesome.

Spelt is not as bad as wheat, but is worse than rice.

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member
    Oh and pancakes - unless it's savoury pancakes you're after, I'd just make the two-ingredient banana/egg ones. TBH I was never that into pancakes pre-primal but I make the two ingredient ones for my kids and I think they're much nicer than the grainy ones! You can make them thick or thin by varying the amount of egg.

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    Try Tinkyada brown rice pasta. The Super Targets in my area carry it, so it's easy to find in the US but I don't know about NZ.