Thread: And yet another who needs to lose some weight... page

BK20Shinya is offline Junior Member

And yet another who needs to lose some weight...

Shop Now
    Hi all,
    Due to some misfortune a couple years ago, I gained weight rapidly, and am now thirty kilos above my competitive weight. I am in the obese BMI range and am highly disappointed in myself for letting it get to this point.

I struggled with eating problems when I was younger, and they appear to have backfired now. I have a very good deal of knowledge about paleo, not paleo, what's good, what's overrated, what's questionable, how to act questioning, how to irritate the hell out of people who are ever so attached to their grainy goodness...yet, I am no where near the picture of health that someone would want to be in order to be so opinionated.

Perhaps because I've had many a mentor who didn't practice what they preach?

No, I shall take my own responsibility.

I need to shed the initial 10-15kg (22-33lb) rather efficiently, so I've designed myself a sort of paleo VLCD to go on for a little bit. I had a look at the regular suspects for VLCDs and nearly died of the sugary horror, therefore immediately ruling them out. It is for the best that I lose the first bit of weight rapidly on a low plan, as I have tried to do a typical paleo diet and have not yet succeeded.

I would love some support on the way.

Thanks!

BK

Soulrunner is offline Member
    Hi there and welcome. There is heaps of good info on the MDA website. Go through the archives and have a good poke around. I'm pretty new to this but have found the forums helpful and there are plenty of people to answer you questions or help when you get stuck.
    Good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Just out of curiosity....you said you were over your " competitive weight", what do you compete at?
    Go sell crazy somewhere else.........we're all stocked up here.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    We3lcome, you can do this. Look after yourself and as you begin to feel better may you find yet more motivation to continue. All the best.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. VLCD is one way to go, but not necessary, to lose weight and can present problems if not managed correctly. Things to watch out for are getting enough protein to avoid slowing of your metabolism and getting enough micronutrients to avoid cravings. You may experience a period of low energy, the low carb flu, which will fade. I think another trap for some is frequency of eating. Eating too frequently maintains a high level of insulin which impedes the release of free fatty acid for fuel. Three square meals per day, just as we were recommended back in the '70s, allows your body to cycle between burning glucose and fat and avoids the difficulty of maintaining the state of ketosis (though nothing wrong with that if that's what you choose)
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    i did a very low carb diet of 800 calories a day that worked well for me, all carbs were veg with 1 bit of fruit most days. it can be done quickly and safely if you pay attention to what you eat
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Soulrunner: I competed internationally in Fencing, I also did state level cross country...

Peril: I do a good deal of research as part of my degree, I'm pretty aware about VLCDs and not VLCDs and their efficacy and side effects etc... The thing for me at this point is to get down a good deal so that I can exercise more and do a more regular low calorie paleo weight loss plan. At this point, faster is better. My weight is giving me situational depression (I say situational because it's not the same as having inherent depressive tendencies), and I can't work out and do the things I enjoy. I want to isolate myself away from people because I am so ashamed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not like that lady who is trying to become that fatest in the world, but I want to get back to my sports, and I certainly cannot start training again now... VLCD are recommended for patients that are either a) really massive, or b) having many side effects from their weight (eg joint pain, blood pressure complications, T2D, obesity hypoventilation disorder, heart stuff etc), and in my case, it's the depressive part that is having the most negative effect on me. This would make a VLCD applicable.

CarbDodger: yeah that's about the caloric range I'm looking at. I'm glad it worked for you! I can't do anything whacky like optifast/slim/trim/whim or coconutbollocksdetox etc because the sugar in those prepackaged things is just unbelievable, despite the success many people have had on them...No wonder a lot of people gain weight again, they aren't getting good nutrients while they're doing it.

Annieh: Thank you so much for the support! I really need it. I haven't many friends to support me, so I will be really glad to join this community!

BK

Quote Originally Posted by BK20Shinya View Post
    CarbDodger: yeah that's about the caloric range I'm looking at. I'm glad it worked for you! I can't do anything whacky like optifast/slim/trim/whim or coconutbollocksdetox etc because the sugar in those prepackaged things is just unbelievable, despite the success many people have had on them...No wonder a lot of people gain weight again, they aren't getting good nutrients while they're doing it.
    i ate 100g protein from meat,fish,eggs
    plus 50g carbs from veg and 1 fruit
    i used some butter and some olive oil but wasnt high fat.
    i ate nothing processed other than bacon
    i had enough milk for 2 - 3 coffees but no other dairy.
    i am diabetic but now have a normal blood glucose profile. i was hypertensive but am now off all meds. my cholesterol is lower now too. i also had cancer but it has stopped growing.
    i lost 100lbs in 4 months

good luck with what you choose to do
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'

Carbdodger-- is losing 100lbs in 4 months even possible? That's completely amazing. You must have had an insane caloric deficit. I've been wanting to lose weight quickly, but have been told it's mathematically impossible to lose at the rate I'd like. Did you eat eggs while you lost too? Or only lean protein sources?

i ate 800 calories a day, increased my exercise , walking first which i increased to around 8 miles split throughout the day and the PBF regime.this want difficult to do as i felt so well and energized. i maintained ketones of around 4; measured each morning
    i lost around 1lb a day everyday -no plateau, no stall.
    i ate eggs several times a week but my meats weren't lean.eg i ate the skin on chicken and the fat on meat, i just didn't add much extra fat. any extra calories were filled by pork rinds. i ate no foods with additives and no grain of any kind.
    it still amazes me- i was supported and supervised by an oncology nutritionist and oncologist so we took it as fast as we safely could. i had a full blood screen every week. The cancer i have is aggressive and difficult to treat with a poor prognosis so i had nothing to lose really just potential gains.
    cost me a fortune in clothes tho...

Smelly Dog is offline Junior Member
    Hi BK,
    Just Curious to, What part of Oz ?
    Could probably have a chat with you if you are interested...
    Also there is a great guy to have a chat with in QLd, he has Black Dog Boxing on FB, the page might also help with some of you depression woes... Great guy, just for your info he is 165kgs
    Cheers
    Sage