Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal/Lauri-b :) page

lauri-b is offline Junior Member

Smile Primal Journal/Lauri-b :)

Shop Now
    Okay. So I have tried to go primal but it has been quite some time. I don't have any major health problems and I am not severely overweight. I just want to be the BEST ME I can be. I have a few extra pounds to get rid of after having my last child, who is now 5 months old, but the most important thing is developing a lifestyle that not only allows me to be strong and healthy into old age, but also sets a great example for my children. The most difficult part is the fact that I live with 5 other people, 3 of those being adults, who I cook for each night and who do NOT want to even think about being primal. However, we do grow our own veggies when we can and have started raising rabbits for meat. Oh, we are struggling financially as well so my food choices will be somewhat limited with nothing in the garden at the moment!

I have started making some changes today though I haven't cut out peanut butter. That is my one weakness that I will replace with whole almonds or almond butter. I have to admit I went a little crazy with the peanut butter today though!

Oh- I am still breastfeeding too, so I'm not sure how to handle carbs!! I guess I'll have to experiment some...

What I ate today:

3 eggs fried in butter + 1/2 plantain fried in butter
    Coffee + cream

chicken breast + mushrooms + onion sauteed in olive oil over mixed salad and topped with salsa, left over plantain

1/2 cup Greek yogurt + a glob of peanut butter

1 grilled chicken thigh, 2 chicken legs + 2 or 3 cups of broccoli

1/2 cup greek yogurt + glob of peanut butter

Primal Play:

I helped my 5 year old build and obstacle course that we played with for an hour this morning. Then we went to the lake for about 2 hours to swim.

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Hi Lauri-b,

it's great you've decided to go Primal, and sounds like your doing fine food-wise. Almond butter is delicious, and should help you get past the peanut butter. It can, and probably will be challenging to keep on track when you live with other non-primal people (speaking from experience), but if you stick to it, eventually any negative complaints or comments will stop.

Good luck!

T.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, peanut butter is my weakness too. But, hey, we can do it!
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Thanks for the support!

Well, Saturday and Sunday I did pretty well. I even avoided ice cream by stopping for fruit and macadamia nuts on the way to McDonalds. My husband and daughter love it, so all I can do is limit how often we end up there! And my daughter shared some fruit with me before we got there. However, I think I went overboard with the peanut butter both days. So, I think I am going to completely cut it out. With this I think I will have to go all or nothing, at least during my transition. So today I am going to replace that snack with options like, herbal tea with cream, soft-boiled eggs, left over meat or nuts. This morning I had coffee with cream and a 4 egg veggie scramble cooked in a combination of butter and olive oil. I still felt hungry (and still do!) after eating. I think I am going to get a glass of water and do some house work, then if I am still hungry I'll grab a snack.

Well, I managed to make it until 10:30 for my second meal of the day. I fried 1 1/2 pieces of bacon the use the fat + olive oil + butter to fry kale plus a handful of chopped apple. I also threw in some left over chicken that had also been cooked in butter. I think I am satisfied at this point, I just think I am going to have to adjust to not eating until I am very full like I am used to.

Getting primal exercise has been fairly easy though. Today I put to together an obstacle course and race my daughter through it a few times. Yesterday I did 2 rounds of assisted pull-ups, squats, push-ups and planks.

Emofedom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lauri-b View Post

Oh- I am still breastfeeding too, so I'm not sure how to handle carbs!! I guess I'll have to experiment some...
    Hopefully you wont have any issues. I haven't had any problems with it. If you experience a decrease in production you can take the supplement fenugreek and also walnuts do the trick. Just make up for it with carbs from Fruits mainly and vegetables.

Em
    "Adapt and Overcome"

Quote Originally Posted by Emofedom View Post
    Hopefully you wont have any issues. I haven't had any problems with it. If you experience a decrease in production you can take the supplement fenugreek and also walnuts do the trick. Just make up for it with carbs from Fruits mainly and vegetables.
    Thanks EM! So far I think I am doing fine. My milk supply hasn't been affected yet and it is getting easier to stick to primal foods. Yay!

So a couple of days ago I decided to track my food just to get a good picture of what I was eating throughout the day. Apparently I am eating pretty low card, it came in at about 67 grams. I had eggplant and sweet potato that day so I was expecting a higher number. I haven't been eating fruit because I have learned it tends to give me some cravings and sometimes makes me hungrier than I was before I ate it. I might add a piece of fruit in if I think I need it. But, my energy levels seem to be staying fairly regular considering the fact that I am up during the night with the baby and I typically am up sometime around 4 a.m.
    Also, yesterday I started my morning with a cup of fatty coffee that I saw over at the fatburningmanshow.com It's coffee with cream, butter, coconut oil and cinnamon! I love it! It's kind of a fast, because I am up at 4 a.m. but I ate breakfast at 10 yesterday so it's not too long. I am only trying to through in a little IF window because I tried it a while back during my first try at becoming Primal, and it seemed like my body worked so much better! And yesterday, I felt AWESOME! I think I will keep it up as long as I still feel great and my milk is not affected by it.
    How long does it take to really start becoming a 'fat burning beast?' I have only been Primal for about 5 days and yesterday was the first day I didn't have peanut butter (by the way, I think I like roasted macadamias even better!) but so far, I have had no carb flu!

Wow. That was quite a rambling! I am trying to get all of the things I have been trying/ thinking about out before I am up and running with my to-do list!

Emofedom is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you might luck out on the carb flu. Most people suffer from it the first week (3days for me). I think mine was from my extreme habit change though. I quit a lot of stuff cold turkey at the beginning including, grains, legumes (peanut butter), veg oils, starches, sugar and all processed foods. Two weeks later I quit dairy, but thats because I am going for pain relief that I quit so much.

I lost 10 pounds the first month but now I'm kind of holding. I think it's because I'm building muscle in the gym though.

The coffee sounds good. Wish I could tolerate it better.

Good luck

Em
    "Adapt and Overcome"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast