Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get extra crispy bacon?

Hybrid View

How to get extra crispy bacon?

I did it once and can't repeat it, don't know why... that extra crispy bacon was sooooo good!

Cook it in the oven on a baking sheet lined with foil or a wire rack.

Side note: I actually dislike crispy bacon. I prefer it chewy if I have it at all.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Cook it in the oven on a baking sheet lined with foil or a wire rack.

Side note: I actually dislike crispy bacon. I prefer it chewy if I have it at all.
    This. Frying bacon is for amateurs that want poor texture, shriveled up pieces and oil burns. Once you bake bacon, you never fry again!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

I will try baking it.
    I loooove bacon! Can't beleive I was missing on it for so many years, what a shame.
    Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

I do it in a cast iron skillet and the secret is to start with a cold skillet (or griddle). Put the bacon in and then turn on the heat. Starting cold keeps the bacon from shriveling up, which gives you much more surface area to fry. And don't keep flipping over and over, just flip once. Drain it right away after taking out of the pan. Mine is always crispy.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Another way is to use hotter deeper fat, semi deep fry. That is fast.
    Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
    Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

My bacon strips are so long, that I cut them in half with kitchen scissors. I do not pre-heat the pan, so I can situate the bacon where I want it, in the center of the pan and flat. Then I turn the oven onto 6 (out of a possible 10, it's electric). I cover it & check on it but only turn it 2-3 times, recovering it's lid each time I flip. Then I (under)cook my 2 or 3 eggs in the bacon grease! I actually prefer my bacon chewier and on the softer side. Burnt or overcooked proteins are more mutagenic, while also oxidizing the cholesterol too, neither of which we want to do.
    Last edited by Betorq; 08-17-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Thanks everyone!
    Lots of new tricks to try.
    I think it might have been a cold skillet that did the trick the first time.
    Thanks for the info Betorq, sure don't want to eat oxidized cholesterol.

In the oven under a broiler on low, which my oven does (a low and hi broil). Roasting pan lined with parchment, and leave the door open a skosh. The bit of extra time this takes is offset by the sheer number of strips I can get into my old-fashioned large roasting pan. I flip strips once.

Works well for us.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC