Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kefir page

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member

Kefir

Primal Fuel
    So, I drink kefir in the morning on an empty stomach, not because I like it, but because I'm specifically using it to address some digestive issues that I've had for a while. (It seems to be working)

However, it's gross. I CAN drink it by itself, but I really really prefer not to. It seems though like all the things that I can find to make it palatable (hide the kefir smell and flavor) are kind of high carb. Right now, I've been mixing it with coconut milk, some protein powder that I had left over but will be replacing with something more PB friendly (there's something sweet in it so right now that's what's masking the flavor) and a little heavy cream.

I just read another thread where kefir smoothies in the morning were discussed and it was suggested that a morning meal should include fat and protein. This amounts that I'm using right now for this stuff add up to make a smoothie that pretty much fills me up. I don't think I'd have room to eat anything else with it and I'm not hungry again for another 3 or 4 hours.

Any suggestions for other things that I can add to the smoothie that won't leave me with a huge carb load first thing in the morning? I've tried a handful of frozen/non-frozen blueberries. That doesn't seem to help. Kefir is slightly to very sour, so berries that are slightly sour aren't very masking.

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    When I drink kefir with breakfast I usually just man up and chug the stuff then move on to my eggs and bacon. MMmmmm bacon.

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    lol, that's what I had been doing. I just figured mixing it with stuff would make it more palatable, but perhaps I just need to go back to doing it that way so that I can eat something sooner. Do you wait at all before you eat to digest the kefir?

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Ive been hearing alot about this stuff. sounds likes some gnarly substance from the looks of this thread.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

I don't wait to digest the kefir. I figure the bugs are in their so I just move on to breakfast.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    You can drink less and eat a regular breakfast as others recommend. Or you can make a breakfast out of it as I do. I have a fantastic blueberry recipe as well as almond butter, or vanilla. All of these contain coconut oil as well. Or you can switch to water kefir and experience pretty much the same benefits without the taste you don't like. You can make lemonade, gingerale, etc..... I personally like the milk kefir but we make both from live grains, have been for over a year now.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

dacec is offline Senior Member
    I blend up 3/4 c blueberries, 1 c spinach, 1 c kale, 1/4 coconut milk and 8 oz raw kefir. It is a big carb load but I am low the rest of the day.

I got the advice to eat something meaty with it or before....today a ate a half chicken breast, cold, out of the frig while assembling my smoothie.

I tried to drink it straight, but I physically can not! BLECH!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    I MUST HAVE REALLY ODD TASTE BUDS.... i love kefir, i get cultured goat kefir, its great. but i am the same girl who adores all organ meats as they are, love them too!

dacec is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    I MUST HAVE REALLY ODD TASTE BUDS.... i love kefir, i get cultured goat kefir, its great. but i am the same girl who adores all organ meats as they are, love them too!
    I know others who actually like it too......not me

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yea you must be "different" lol because I can't even imagine eating organ meats.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast