Thread: Sinus/Breathing Issues & Can Anyone Recommend A Good Naturopath DR in NJ?

Sinus/Breathing Issues & Can Anyone Recommend A Good Naturopath DR in NJ?

Shop Now
    Hey there,

I figured this would be a good place to look for some input. I've been having sinus issues for about a year and a half now. I've been diagnosed with "Allergic Rhinitis". I've also been experiencing breathing issues for around the same period of time, but it's gotten worse the last few months. It's like I have to stop and take a deep breath every once in awhile to catch my breah, but it happens multiple times everyday. My primary doctor can't really figure out why I'm having breathing issues and says that I'm "sighing" and it sounds like "anxiety" to him. My stomach also gets a slight congested feeling once in awhile too.

Backstory:

My diet used to be terrible, I used to eat junk food on the regular and drink heavily on the weekends, as most college students do. I didn't value sleep as much as I do now either. My health was perfectly fine until I went out and got drunk two nights in a row back in November of 2011. That morning I woke up with hangover symptoms and ended up having a panic attack. Two days after that panic attack, I was experiencing anxiety which seemed to be happening for no reason. I experienced pretty bad anxiety for the next month and then started getting headaches/sinus issues along with it. At that point, I started making lifestyle changes. I thought my headaches were related to my anxiety until I received a CT scan in february of 2012, where the doctors found out I had sinus issues. The doctor diagnosed me with "sinusitis" and then gave me a 10 day dose of antibiotics. Although, it didn't really help much with my sinus problem. Once I found out my headache problem wasn't connected to anxiety, my anxiety decreased.

Fast forward to around May of 2013, I made a visit to an ENT Doctor, where he reviewed my CT scan and told me that I didn't have sinusitis and that my sinus problems were allergy related. He put me on an antihistamine and an oral steroid for a 2-3 week period, which also didn't do much for me. Around the same period of time, I stumbled across the primal blueprint book and slowly started adopting the changes into my lifestyle. I stopped eating gluten, but still ate rice and drank alcohol here and there. With little change to my sinus situation, I started doing more research and came to a conclusion that I might have a candida overgrowth. At that point, I started following an anti candida diet on November 2012 and completely cut out alcohol.All I ate for the next two months was pretty much chicken, beef, turkey, brown rice, and vegetables. I also made a visit to an allergy doctor on January 2013 just to make sure I had allergies. After a skin test, we found out I'm allergic to cats, dust mites, pollen, grass, ragweed(pretty much everything in the book).

After more research and little relief to my sinus headaches/congestion. I decided to fully commit to the primal diet/more strict anti candida diet at the end of January 2013 since I found out brown rice would actually slow down my progress if I did happen to have a candida problem. So my diet pretty much consisted of beef, chicken, turkey and vegetables. I followed this strict diet up until July. I found some changes, but didn't really start getting relief from my sinus headaches until I started taking magnesium and quercetin supplements, along with visiting a chiropractor for adjustments around May. I don't know which one did the trick, but my headache problem finally decreased greatly and nearly disappeared.

Currently, I still follow a strict diet, although I'm planning to loosen it up a bit soon. I'm tired of doing research myself so I'm currently searching for a good naturopath doctor in New Jersey to help with my situation and I figured this would be a good place to ask. I still have slight sinus issues, but it's a lot more tolerable without the headaches. The breathing issue still bothers me though. It's like I have to stop and catch my breath every once in awhile, but it happens multiple times everyday. I guess you can say it seems like asthma, but my primary doctor says that I'm "sighing" and it sounds like anxiety to him. It does increase when I'm stressed, but it also happens when I don't even feel anxious. I also went to another doctor to get a second opinion and he agreed with my primary doctor. I'm not sure if the two are connected or not, but that's why I'm assumed I had a candida overgrowth. Now I'm not even sure what to think anymore. My condition improved from what it originally was, but I'm still not where I want to be at health wise. I just turned 22 so the quality of my life has been impacted greatly due to my health complications.

Lifestyle changes I've made and things I've tried for my sinus/breathing issue:

- Anti Candida/Primal Diet (Jan-June 2013) I'm still pretty much primal, but I re-added brown rice into my diet recently.
    - Gluten Free (Since November 2012)
    - Diary Free (Since January 2012)
    - Netipot (Didn't really do much for my sinus issue)
    - Tried Claritin/Allegera-D with little relief
    - Removed carpet in my room and replaced with wood tile
    - anti allergy pillow/bed sheet
    - put an air filter in my room.
    - 7/8 hours of sleep every night

(All of this didn't really help with my sinus issue until I started my daily vitamin regime below)

My current daily vitamin regime:
    - 500 mg of magnesium every night(Started May 2013)
    - 1000 mg of quercetin (Started May 2013)
    - 2000 mg of vitamin c (Started July 2013)
    - 2000 UI Vitamin D (Started July 2013)
    - Around 800-1000 mg of calcium((started July 2013)
    - 1500 mg of bromelin (started July 2013)

My sinus issue is improving, but I also want to get this breathing issue handled. If anyone can point me in the right direction of a good naturopath doctor in New Jersey or have any input on my situation, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wow, does this really sound like me. I had a breathing issue that scared the crap out of me a few weeks ago, where it was a hot day and I thought it was related to heat stroke. Right now, I don't think it is. I think you may have a histamine intolerance, like me. I feel best on days when I eat fresh fish, straight from the tank that day, and less than day-old eggs. Vegetables don't matter. Also, there is a long slew of foods that cause my nose to get stuffy, including highly fermented foods like wines, cheeses, and chocolates, and eating apples, which contain quercetin, help my symptoms immensely.

I have found that brown rice isn't bad, but do you germinate/ferment them? That may be the reason why it makes your symptoms worse.

what county? I have a friend in gloucester county that I believe has such a doctor. We have kinda lost touch, but I can reach out to her.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    what county? I have a friend in gloucester county that I believe has such a doctor. We have kinda lost touch, but I can reach out to her.
    I'm in Union County, but I can travel anywhere in Jersey as long as it's not too far.

So which county is too far?
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    So which county is too far?
    Sorry didn't notice you said you have a friend in gloucester county. If the doctor is around that area then that would be fine.

Did anyone ever check your lungs? They should have had you breath through a tube connected to a computer which measured the flow in and out of your lungs (spirometry). Some disease affect how you breath in while other diseases affect how you breath out. If you have not had this analysis, I would demand that before giving up on standard care.

I also have a breathing oddness that my doctor just marked as not important and it turned out it was related to a fairly rare autoimmune condition. It's still not important, but at least now I know what it is.

ETA: Also, I've started using N95 (cuts 95% of particles down to 0.02 microns) masks to protect myself from the thing that sets it off (mainly, any kind of smoke). You can get them at the home improvement store. Has been hugely helpful for me.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Did anyone ever check your lungs? They should have had you breath through a tube connected to a computer which measured the flow in and out of your lungs (spirometry). Some disease affect how you breath in while other diseases affect how you breath out. If you have not had this analysis, I would demand that before giving up on standard care.

I also have a breathing oddness that my doctor just marked as not important and it turned out it was related to a fairly rare autoimmune condition. It's still not important, but at least now I know what it is.

ETA: Also, I've started using N95 (cuts 95% of particles down to 0.02 microns) masks to protect myself from the thing that sets it off (mainly, any kind of smoke). You can get them at the home improvement store. Has been hugely helpful for me.
    Thanks for the advice. That definitely sounds like the next step I'll take. What kind of doctor would I have to visit to get my lungs checked out like that?

Shop Now
    Generally an allergy and asthma doctor has the machine. Others as well, like a pulmonologist, but it sounds like allergy and asthma is what you are looking for.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com