• I don't eat CO and my LDL is high

2 8.00%
  • I don't eat CO and my LDL is low

3 12.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vote! Coconut oil and LDL page 2

rory535 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    He says maybe next time he might order it. Right now I am trying to figure out the internal inflammation -though I have no external physical signs. My CRP went from a 7 to a 1 but it should be lower. And other inflammatory numbers are high.

So what is your theory on high LDL? I do eat two tablespoons straight coconut oil a day - I figure good ketones for my brain
    Well your body actually seems to handle the saturated fat quite well then as to me 2 tablespoons a day seems like quite a lot. I'd bet if you cut it to 1 you'd see a big improvement. Everyone is different and so handle things differently so you have to experiment. I'm getting my LDL-P retested in a couple of weeks but I went from an LDL 211 to 120 in 3 weeks by cutting back on fat intake and upping my carb intake. So not sure which it was but I was obviously a hyper absorber of fats which I can't handle.

Boner is offline Junior Member
    Just had my cholesterol tested the other day and was a little surprised at the results considering I've been paleo/primal (80/20, anyway) for almost a year.

Total: 332 HDL: 119 LDL: 213 Tri: ? (received results via phone with doc and forgot to ask Triglyceride #)

This is only the third time since 2004 I've had a lipid panel done. Past results:

Total: 262 HDL: 65 LDL: 186 Tri: ?
    Total: 256 HDL: 72 LDL: 173 Tri: 55

I'm a 34 year old male and weighing #145 (very lean) and have always had normal blood pressure i.e. never higher than 120/80. I exercise three times a week (cross fit / cycling).

Just wondering if any gurus out there can help me make sense of my #s.........and YES, I eat/cook with coconut/coconut oil several times a week.

Thanks

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Basic lipid panels don't usually measure the amount of LDL particles or their size. The LDL reported in the test results is calculated from the Total cholesterol, HDL (measured) and Triglycerides (measured). Can't remember the name of the calculation usually used (possibly friedenwald or something similar), but it is apparently thrown out of your trugs are below 100. There is an alternative formula, called the Iranian (iirc) formula which takes this into account.

Do a forum search for "grfff's cholesterol primer", blog posts on the topic by Mark. Pretty sure he discusses this in TPB too.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    Just had my cholesterol tested the other day and was a little surprised at the results considering I've been paleo/primal (80/20, anyway) for almost a year.

Total: 332 HDL: 119 LDL: 213 Tri: ? (received results via phone with doc and forgot to ask Triglyceride #)

This is only the third time since 2004 I've had a lipid panel done. Past results:

I'm a 34 year old male and weighing #145 (very lean) and have always had normal blood pressure i.e. never higher than 120/80. I exercise three times a week (cross fit / cycling).

Just wondering if any gurus out there can help me make sense of my #s.........and YES, I eat/cook with coconut/coconut oil several times a week.

Thanks
    I'm not a guru, but your HDL on that latest panel is outstanding. If you're worried about your total (which I wouldn't be) you need to confirm you trigs, which I would expect to be well below 100 see my previous post about the effect of this on LDL calculation.

Chris Kresser also had some great info online about cholesterol.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rory535 View Post
    Is he surprised or concerned? If he's surprised then I as a patient may be concerned that they don't understand the full spectrum of results one can encounter on a HFLC diet. Have they or you considered a more thorough lipid panel like VAP/NMR?
    Muppet, a little jealous here that your doctor is even considering giving you that test. Mine doesn't think I should, and recommended that I just "reduce [my] intake of saturated fats." :/

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post

Thanks
    Your trigs can be calculated from the others, presuming that the LDL was calculated using the Friedewald equation: LDL = TC - HDL - Trig/5. This puts your trig at 0, which is nonsense. This means the LDL number is actually your non-HDL (TC - HDL). You need to call back to get the Trig and check the LDL.

However, your HDL is superb. If your Trig is below 100, I wouldn't be concerned about TC or LDL
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

rory535 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Muppet, a little jealous here that your doctor is even considering giving you that test. Mine doesn't think I should, and recommended that I just "reduce [my] intake of saturated fats." :/
    You can also order it yourself through mdlabtests, think its $75.

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Your trigs can be calculated from the others, presuming that the LDL was calculated using the Friedewald equation: LDL = TC - HDL - Trig/5. This puts your trig at 0, which is nonsense. This means the LDL number is actually your non-HDL (TC - HDL). You need to call back to get the Trig and check the LDL.

However, your HDL is superb. If your Trig is below 100, I wouldn't be concerned about TC or LDL
    Nice explanation Peril :-)

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    Oops, looks like I fail at polls.

I hit "I don't eat CO and my LDL is low" instead of "I eat CO and my LDL happens to be low".

Last year I went to the Dr. for the first time in several years for an unrelated issue and it turned out I had high BP which led to testing. My first lipid panel was (4/2012):
    HDL 25
    LDL 88
    Trig 48
    Total 128

I just got my new lipid numbers(8/2013):
    HDL 33
    LDL 108
    Trig 35
    Total 148

I've been using 2-3 tbsp of CO with my eggs every morning for at least the last 6 months. Between the two tests I had lost+40 lbs through a ketogenic diet. The CO most likely did not help my numbers but they clearly did not harm them.

biko is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So no more CO for me I guess.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast