Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone designed a workout with kids? page

banjosal is offline Member

Has anyone designed a workout with kids?

I'm thinking that the best way for me to start doing PBF in a more focused way (as opposed to just trying to remember to do some pullups at the playground) is to have exercises I do with my kids, specifically. My kids are SO HAPPY if I am just out there running around with them, so they'll do whatever.

I realize that one of my fitness goals is to be able to sprint or pull-up with my youngest hanging onto me (he's 3.5). I'll leave the 7yo for my husband I feel like it's an important survival tool to be able to escape an emergency situation while assisting my kids (since that would be a priority).

Do you have any specific exercises that you do that include your kids?

BenP is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by banjosal View Post
    I'm thinking that the best way for me to start doing PBF in a more focused way (as opposed to just trying to remember to do some pullups at the playground) is to have exercises I do with my kids, specifically. My kids are SO HAPPY if I am just out there running around with them, so they'll do whatever.

I realize that one of my fitness goals is to be able to sprint or pull-up with my youngest hanging onto me (he's 3.5). I'll leave the 7yo for my husband I feel like it's an important survival tool to be able to escape an emergency situation while assisting my kids (since that would be a priority).

Do you have any specific exercises that you do that include your kids?
    I have bear crawl or crab crawl races against my 3.5 year old son.....

banjosal is offline Member
    Fun! I was racing with the elder this am and that went pretty well. I get all excited when I start doing something new I know I can go with the flow...

laurathegoth is offline Member
    take your children, some balls, skipping ropes, bikes, scooters etc-and let them make an obstacle course (aka circuit) which you all have to do
    We did this on the field today, lots of fun and really just playing which is kind of the whole point isn't it?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    My 7 yo loves stretching together, so I am hoping to do proper partner stretching with her eventually, beyond simply pulling on one another for fun.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

alydar is offline Member
    All 3 (ages 9, 7, and 4) of mine go with me to workout in our family barn and pasture area. They swing on ropes, climb up and over the partitions, do pull-ups, handstands, "obstacle" type runs that they make up (we work the imagination, too! LOL), jump rope and then copy a lot of what they see me doing.

Their all-time favorite is sprint time. That's when we are running for ours lives from all the bears, tigers, dragons, and T-rexes they can think up.

Lately they are stuck on the American Ninja Warrior show so I see a lot of "that" in their activities. We also have a family soccer game in the evenings usually so plenty of play time, too.

Does using them as "heavy things" to lift count as exercising with them? lol

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

How to work out with kids

Yup as long as they are small enough you can use em just like dumbbells or kettlebells. You have to teach em to curl up in a ball so they don't throw off your balance, but it works. Just make sure if you have two kids you manipulate their diets to keep them near the same weight. Then when they are old enough you can fatten one of em up so as to use them for heavy barbell work.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Last edited by OldSchhool; 08-19-2013 at 08:10 PM.

alydar is offline Member
    Good tips! Thanks!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I do push-ups with my kids on my back. Getting a bit hard now the oldest is nine....
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast