Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about coconut oil page

Donuts is offline Junior Member

Question about coconut oil

Primal Fuel
    This is my first post here, so I apologize if this is in the wrong area. I just started the primal diet and am considering purchasing coconut oil for cooking. I have heard from a few people that when heated, coconut oil can turn into a trans fat. Is this true? If it makes any difference, I was looking at organic extra virgin coconut oil.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Nope, won't happen.

You'd have to hydrogenize it for that and cooking with the oil is completely unrelated to hydrogenizing oils.

You're good. Now go enjoy those MCTs all you want worry-free.

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    What Drumroll said. CO is a very safe and stable to cook with. And it tastes great!

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Simple rule of any fat you're cooking with - Don't make it smoke.

Coconut oil has a high smoke temperature so quite stable.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Why did my LDL go up?! - Low Carb Friends

Whether for good, neutral, or bad - a fun thread about how coconut oil messes with people LDL numbers.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

imp
    imp is offline Senior Member
    Cocanut oil is stable at high temps...so its all good...use for baking is good

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Thank you for the help. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Why did my LDL go up?! - Low Carb Friends

Whether for good, neutral, or bad - a fun thread about how coconut oil messes with people LDL numbers.
    They never seemed to get an explanation for this. Do you think this is reason enough to avoid coconut oil?

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts View Post
    They never seemed to get an explanation for this. Do you think this is reason enough to avoid coconut oil?
    I think that's not a concern as long as it's the right type of LDL. There is LDL which is not really all that bad for you, and then there is VLDL which is the very dense stuff that can potentially cause problems in your blood vessels. An overall increase in LDL is only majorly troubling if the increase is primarily in the form of VLDL.

In the first place, the primary cause of heart disease as we are slowly learning, is inflammation, not high cholesterol. Therefore, coconut oil, being low in extremely polyunsaturated fatty acids (which cause inflammation), should DECREASE the risk of heart disease. Especially if they are replacing high polyunsaturated oils in your diet such as soy, corn, canola, safflower, and sunflower.

Watch this: Cholesterol the Killer? - YouTube

rory535 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts View Post
    There are a few folks that address this issue like Paul Jaminet and Chris Kresser. However there is this tendency to simply dismiss it as genetics which ai belive a lot of it is. A lipidologist stated that almost a third of his patients experience this on a HFLC diet. Thats a lot. Right now it seems we don't know if its the low carbs or high fat. I wouldn't play around with this and if you have high LDL values you need to get a VAP and/or NMR done. Having a high LDL-P which is often associated with LDL is not good regardless of ratios or size of particles. People with genetic Familial Hypercholesterolemia have large fluffy LDL but still suffer from very early heart disease because of their high LDL-P.

I see so many folks here with very high LDL values who comment they aren't concerned because its large fluffy......okay, we'll good for you and good luck with that. I also believe that many due to some genetic makeup may be okay but I don't think anyone really knows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast