Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a few questions abt hygiene page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

a few questions abt hygiene

So I finally tried baking soda for brushing my teeth last night. I just dipped a wet toothbrush into the tub of baking soda, and brushed. Was very salty, but I have no problems with it. I was pleased and surprised how easy it was! (I meant to try this a year ago, but kept putting it off... just a mental hurdle to get over).

I read that using just baking soda on teeth is abrasive... thoughts?

Can you use baking soda on your body as well? Or would it be too drying? I use baking soda + water on my hair, which is super drying, but acv rinse at the end balances it out.

I wash a lot of dishes, so my hands are constantly dry. Ideas for a simple and natural lotion?

How about sunblock? I don't burn, but occasionally I still wonder if I need some kind of protection. We're usually out in the sun a few hours a day (not continuously).

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil.
    That is all.
    Ok, that's not "all"...but you can gargle with it, use it on hair, skin & post-sunbathing it's nice & effective too & w/ aloe & jojoba added to it, not too bad for sun protection. Wear a wide brim hat if you are concerned for overexposure. Sun is good fer ya, as long as your diet is not toxic. Besides, most of the sun damage we supposedly get is in childhood. I was a dark brown kid, from playing in the sun after school every day & living in it all summer, every summer. I still don't use sun screen, something else will get me, not sun exposure...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Coconut oil.
    That is all.
    Ok, that's not "all"...but you can gargle with it, use it on hair, skin & post-sunbathing it's nice & effective too & w/ aloe & jojoba added to it, not too bad for sun protection. Wear a wide brim hat if you are concerned for overexposure. Sun is good fer ya, as long as your diet is not toxic. Besides, most of the sun damage we supposedly get is in childhood. I was a dark brown kid, from playing in the sun after school every day & living in it all summer, every summer. I still don't use sun screen, something else will get me, not sun exposure...
    How do you know if you're overexposed to the sun? My daughter and I don't burn, we just tan, so I assume we're fine. We usually swim when we're out in the sun-- would coconut oil still be ok for that?

Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    How do you know if you're overexposed to the sun? My daughter and I don't burn, we just tan, so I assume we're fine. We usually swim when we're out in the sun-- would coconut oil still be ok for that?
    In India, S.E.Asia & the Polynesias, coconut oil is the go-to remedy for hair and skin, you cannot go wrong with it on (or in) your bodies. Don't sweat it: enjoy the tropics to the max, including the sun, & swimming in the ocean.

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Glad you made the change to BS; there are some people who say it's too abrasive, but...I've been brushing my teeth with it for close to 2 years, and I have the best teeth in my family. I haven't worn my enamel away, or anything.
    Remember you don't need much. Just a light dusting.

For the hands: jojoba oil? Pretty pricey, though. CO sounds good. Or gloves.

T.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    Glad you made the change to BS; there are some people who say it's too abrasive, but...I've been brushing my teeth with it for close to 2 years, and I have the best teeth in my family. I haven't worn my enamel away, or anything.
    Remember you don't need much. Just a light dusting.

For the hands: jojoba oil? Pretty pricey, though. CO sounds good. Or gloves.

T.
    Jojoba is a tropical plant, it ought to be common & cheap there where they live. Hell, she can likely just grow it herself in their yard. I meant jojoba oil as part of a skin sun thing, not so much for the hands. Straight coco oil on hands works fine

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member
    I use coconut oil as a moisturiser, hand cream, cleanser and eye make up remover. It's a great all-rounder!

Rubber gloves for the washing up though!

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freerangepiglings View Post
    I use coconut oil as a moisturiser, hand cream, cleanser and eye make up remover. It's a great all-rounder!

Rubber gloves for the washing up though!
    Yeah, the detergents can be really harsh.

In India, S.E.Asia & the Polynesias, coconut oil is the go-to remedy for hair and skin, you cannot go wrong with it on (or in) your bodies. Don't sweat it: enjoy the tropics to the max, including the sun, & swimming in the ocean.
    I like coconut oil a lot too, but don't you think it gets too oily sometimes?

Jojoba is a tropical plant, it ought to be common & cheap there where they live. Hell, she can likely just grow it herself in their yard. I meant jojoba oil as part of a skin sun thing, not so much for the hands. Straight coco oil on hands works fine
    I've never used jojoba oil. Here coconuts are everywhere..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast