Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: a few questions abt hygiene page 2

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by freerangepiglings View Post
    I use coconut oil as a moisturiser, hand cream, cleanser and eye make up remover. It's a great all-rounder!

Rubber gloves for the washing up though!
    Do you make moisturizers/creams or just apply coconut oil directly?

I really do not like gloves....................

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I don't like using gloves to wash dishes either, but they make a HUGE difference. Dish soap is designed to dissolve and wash away oils and grease, which means this is happening to the natural oils in the skin on your hands if you're not wearing gloves. IMO, chemically stripping away natural oils just to try to replace them with something else is not the best solution (this is what we do with shampoo and conditioner), and having tried EVERY moisturizing option under the sun to fix my peeling hands, I eventually had to suck it up, use gloves and voila! problem solved.

That being said, as much as I love coconut oil, I don't find that it makes improvements in my skin or hair. What does make a big difference is honey, which is a humectant (it helps skin to retain moisture). I occasionally give myself a honey facial and nothing else has ever made my skin so soft (you can also follow up the honey treatment with a little coconut oil if you want, but I don't find it necessary).

For hands, I would put them under hot water to open up the pores, dry them lightly, then cover my hands with honey, and put on disposable gloves so I don't make a honey mess everywhere. I leave it on for maybe 20 min or more, then wash it off. That's the only thing that has made improvements in my dry hands when they were at their worst.

laurathegoth is offline Member
    i use coconut oil as a body moisturiser but not on my face, i prefer to oil cleanse using a combination of almond oil and castor oil for that. I also use it on my feet before putting on clean cotton socks and slippers-the warmth makes it absorb better. Same principal for hands, you can get cotton gloves for doing it.
    I make a deodorant which is mostly coconut oil, it's better than any commercial one I've tried
    I don't like it as a hair treatment personally but I know lots of people who swear by it.
    Obviously I cook with it too, and my dog gets a tbsp a day-it cleared her dandruff in a week and her bald patches grew back which I was told would never happen!
    Awesome stuff. I buy biona coconut oil from amazon, it's virgin and cold-pressed but unfortunately does come in plastic tubs.

fillyone is offline Senior Member
    I use coconut oil on my face and it seems to have been the final step in some very stubborn tiny blackhead "patches" that nothing else was taking care of (Primal was the first step!)
    Barb - Portland, Oregon

"Everything is as it should be given what has gone before. This is not an excuse but it is a reason"
    ~ Dr G & Barb ~

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    @BestBetter: Thanks for sharing that about honey. I got some honey massages from a Russian doctor. She promised me it was detoxifying, & it was! Sticky too! Honey is amazing stuff.

@laurathegoth: I also starting using coconut and a few essential oils as underarm deodorant, I love it!

On my face, neck & head, I've been using coconut oil since going to/spending time in India in the mid-late 90s. Also emu oil around my eyes & other sensitive areas. Shea butter too some...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    I use coconut oil as a deodorant too!
    I just mix equal amounts of the oil and baking soda together, then pour it into an old glue stick container. It hardens, and voila...

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    you can use coconut oil and beeswax and zinc oxide powder to make your own sunscreen.

you can use straight coconut oil (or almond) as a lotion for your hands.

you can also use coconut oil for toothpaste, as well as oil pulling, or you can use baking soda as is, or you can use tooth powder -- there are lots of recipes on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I don't like using gloves to wash dishes either, but they make a HUGE difference. Dish soap is designed to dissolve and wash away oils and grease, which means this is happening to the natural oils in the skin on your hands if you're not wearing gloves. IMO, chemically stripping away natural oils just to try to replace them with something else is not the best solution (this is what we do with shampoo and conditioner), and having tried EVERY moisturizing option under the sun to fix my peeling hands, I eventually had to suck it up, use gloves and voila! problem solved.

That being said, as much as I love coconut oil, I don't find that it makes improvements in my skin or hair. What does make a big difference is honey, which is a humectant (it helps skin to retain moisture). I occasionally give myself a honey facial and nothing else has ever made my skin so soft (you can also follow up the honey treatment with a little coconut oil if you want, but I don't find it necessary).

For hands, I would put them under hot water to open up the pores, dry them lightly, then cover my hands with honey, and put on disposable gloves so I don't make a honey mess everywhere. I leave it on for maybe 20 min or more, then wash it off. That's the only thing that has made improvements in my dry hands when they were at their worst.
    Sigh, maybe I will go with gloves then. My hands are getting so dry from washing dishes 2-3x daily.

I tried honey a few times on my face before, and I got rashes from it. I was surprised because I've read a lot of positive reviews about people using honey on the face. Maybe it was the quality of the honey?

I've been swimming in the beach everyday, and there's something about seawater that makes skin so soft!

Quote Originally Posted by laurathegoth View Post
    i use coconut oil as a body moisturiser but not on my face, i prefer to oil cleanse using a combination of almond oil and castor oil for that. I also use it on my feet before putting on clean cotton socks and slippers-the warmth makes it absorb better. Same principal for hands, you can get cotton gloves for doing it.
    I make a deodorant which is mostly coconut oil, it's better than any commercial one I've tried
    I don't like it as a hair treatment personally but I know lots of people who swear by it.
    Obviously I cook with it too, and my dog gets a tbsp a day-it cleared her dandruff in a week and her bald patches grew back which I was told would never happen!
    Awesome stuff. I buy biona coconut oil from amazon, it's virgin and cold-pressed but unfortunately does come in plastic tubs.
    My sister in laws are Indian and use coconut oil on their hair all the time. They've got long thick and very black hair. My hair is very fine and thin, and once I put coconut oil on it, it takes forever to wash out, and virtually impossible without shampoo (which I was avoiding to begin with!)

I was using coconut oil + castor oil on my face and skip the moisturizer, but stopped these days. A friend who makes natural facial and body care products gave me a sample of her cleansers and moisturizer, so I've been trying it out. They're incredibly expensive in the stores, so when I'm done with these samples, I'll just go back to the oil cleansing method.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    you can use coconut oil and beeswax and zinc oxide powder to make your own sunscreen.

you can use straight coconut oil (or almond) as a lotion for your hands.

you can also use coconut oil for toothpaste, as well as oil pulling, or you can use baking soda as is, or you can use tooth powder -- there are lots of recipes on the internet.
    Do you use coconut oil by itself for toothpaste?

Do you brush after oil pulling? I keep meaning to do it, but always stop after a few days.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast