Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar Addict needs help! page

suebird is offline Junior Member

Sugar Addict needs help!

Primal Fuel
    Hello all!
    I joined this forum a couple years ago and have been rather inactive beyond reading and pondering on information provided by others. Recently I have come across a question that I would love some insight on...

Sugar addiction- It's been quite clear to me for some time that this is getting in the way of any success I wish to have. Even fruits tend to open up the gateways to much more destructive sugary substances. So it's time to ditch these treats, as even moderation is not an option for me! I have tried (probably on a weekly basis) for what feels like years to rid my diet of sugary substances but to no avail. Usually by a week or so on a low carb regiment (meats, vegetables, healthy fats) I feel extremely fatigued, depressed, and my muscles depleted (and this is without strenuous exercise). Even with the occasional sweet potato added in the outcome remains the same. More than anything I wish to reverse my dependence on sugar. If anyone has any tips or advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Zach is offline Banned
    Eat a high sugar (low fat) diet. Problem solved.

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suebird View Post
    Hello all!
    I joined this forum a couple years ago and have been rather inactive beyond reading and pondering on information provided by others. Recently I have come across a question that I would love some insight on...

Sugar addiction- It's been quite clear to me for some time that this is getting in the way of any success I wish to have. Even fruits tend to open up the gateways to much more destructive sugary substances. So it's time to ditch these treats, as even moderation is not an option for me! I have tried (probably on a weekly basis) for what feels like years to rid my diet of sugary substances but to no avail. Usually by a week or so on a low carb regiment (meats, vegetables, healthy fats) I feel extremely fatigued, depressed, and my muscles depleted (and this is without strenuous exercise). Even with the occasional sweet potato added in the outcome remains the same. More than anything I wish to reverse my dependence on sugar. If anyone has any tips or advice I would greatly appreciate it!
    This sounds like carb-flu after eliminating the sugar. Maybe try stick it out a bit longer keeping it very low carb. It was the only way I could cure my cravings for it. I stayed VLC 20g or less a day for almost 6 months. Felt like crap for weeks, but then all of a sudden it was like a cloud lifted and I felt awesome. VLC doesn't seem to be too popular around here, but worked wonders for me. I since have been able to add some fruit and potatoes back in without any major cravings coming back.

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you're not making it out of the carb flu before you start having more carbs. I would say, go 100% VLC for a month, and see if it passes finally. Otherwise, I would assume you have other issues, possibly endocrine in nature.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Where are the sugar treats coming from? Maybe restrict your food purchases to once a week and bring a list.

If VLC backfires for you then include more nourishing carbohydrate, e.g. a roasted kabocha is tasty but nobody goes into a frenzy after eating it.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    When people feel depressed in carb flu, I generally don't think low carb is a good idea, but that is up to the individual. I would say try some starchy carbs, like potatoes and rice, so you aren't low carb, but take it easy on the fruit for now.

Also, check out the 21 Day Sugar Detox.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Stop buying the sugar. If you're eating it, it's got to come from somewhere.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member
    +1 for the 21 Day Sugar Detox

I'm starting it on Monday!
    Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
    34yrs old, 5'5"
    CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
    GW: 135lbs or less
    Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

suebird is offline Junior Member
    Very great ideas and thoughts everyone so thank you. I think I'll just have to keep working with some trial and error and see what happens. The worst part of going low carb for me is extreme insomnia. Not sure if anyone else gets this as well but it makes sticking to the plan very difficult! Thanks again I appreciate all the thoughts and opinions and am looking forward to trying again and again until I get it right!

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by suebird View Post
    Very great ideas and thoughts everyone so thank you. I think I'll just have to keep working with some trial and error and see what happens. The worst part of going low carb for me is extreme insomnia. Not sure if anyone else gets this as well but it makes sticking to the plan very difficult! Thanks again I appreciate all the thoughts and opinions and am looking forward to trying again and again until I get it right!
    You get insomnia because going low carb promotes a high stress environment. Adrenalin and cortisol peak in the night and keep you awake.

"Sugar detoxing" is not the answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast