Thread: Need guidance on tone and building muscle bulk page

banjosal is offline Member

Need guidance on tone and building muscle bulk

I do not know why I'm not in better shape, so I get frustrated trying to "work out" in my daily activities. I have two young children to keep up with, I've been eating primal for a couple of years, I'm active. I weigh about 105, and I look trim, but I have stubborn belly flab and a lack of tone, as well as feeling a little too skinny (read: no butt).

I have been in treatment for Lyme disease and my lingering symptom is arthritis in my knees, so running is really hard and kind of scary. (And I don't like it, not endless running anyway) I can't squat, either, which is a bummer. I wear runamocs and I try to jog a little when the 3 yo does, but I still look the same in the mirror.

Regular, scheduled working out isn't in the cards right now. I need to find a way to incorporate some primal fitness into my day, and I admit that I DO care about how my body looks and would like to build my muscle tone. My energy is pretty good, especially considering the Lyme.

May I have some suggestions on how to approach this? I try to do pushups sporadically throughout the day - I'm not able to go all the way to the floor so I'm working up with half-pushups. Should I be struggling through fewer full pushups instead? How can I get rid of the flab and get some definition?

Thanks, y'all.
    Sarah

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I mean..... you gotta find 15 minutes to regularly workout 2x/week. I think you can do it.

In those 15 minutes follow the PB fitness plan. Its a sticky. Start there and re-evaluate in 6-8 weeks.

Here ya go.... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prima...print-fitness/

Now just do it . Of course make sure you are ok to start such a program depending on how your recovery is coming along.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-16-2013 at 03:24 PM.

I've been trying to do the sprints; I'm just too scared to do it. Is it okay to go as hard as feels comfortable for the same duration, or should I increase to compensate? I think I do the low-level movement stuff, playing soccer and chasing the kids and pushing the lawnmower and whatnot, but I probably need to concentrate more to get the heavy lifting part in. My husband is a timber framer and a boat builder, and he jokes about the "timber roll," but it's totally true that he does no intentional outside exercise apart from moving regularly and moving heavy stuff often, and he's in great physical condition. Maybe I need to become a carpenter

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Could work!

Yeah, I was talking mainly about the 2x/week lift heavy things part. I think if you just did that you would get fine results. Just do them with little to no rest between sets and you will both be done in under 15 minutes AND get a metabolic boost like you might have gotten from the sprints.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Your telling us you dont do anything and cant do anything but want to look different.

Theres no secret. You have to work hard to change your body.

PS: muscle tone = lose fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    Your telling us you dont do anything and cant do anything but want to look different.

Theres no secret. You have to work hard to change your body.

PS: muscle tone = lose fat.
    No, no, it's not that I can't and don't, it's that I feel frustrated and a little at a loss. I can see how my post came across that way. When I say I am not seeing how to incorporate scheduled fitness into my day, I mean that I'm not able to take time away from my kids to go do something other; I can still do a primal workout that includes them.

I guess it's a culmination of years of frustration about this, staying active and eating well and feeling like I should be able to be fit by incorporating activity INTO my life rather than making it something other. That's what attracts me to the PB.

I realized last night that I can do real pushups, so I did two sets of five. Do pushups count as heavy lifting, or do I have to find a pile of tires?

The thing is that I have hardly any fat. Seriously. When I had cancer I got down to about 93 lbs, pretty much skeletal, so I know what I look like without ANY. I need MORE bulk, I just need the right kind. I don't think I need to lose fat as much as build muscle.

Sarah
    Last edited by banjosal; 08-17-2013 at 04:39 AM.

Okay, reading the PB, I think I can modify it to work around the limitations of the Lyme. It's just going to take me a lot longer, but I'll brainstorm ways to do the WOW with the kids - I'm sure it can be done. Thanks for the encouragement.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by banjosal View Post
    No, no, it's not that I can't and don't, it's that I feel frustrated and a little at a loss. I can see how my post came across that way. When I say I am not seeing how to incorporate scheduled fitness into my day, I mean that I'm not able to take time away from my kids to go do something other; I can still do a primal workout that includes them.

I guess it's a culmination of years of frustration about this, staying active and eating well and feeling like I should be able to be fit by incorporating activity INTO my life rather than making it something other. That's what attracts me to the PB.

I realized last night that I can do real pushups, so I did two sets of five. Do pushups count as heavy lifting, or do I have to find a pile of tires?

The thing is that I have hardly any fat. Seriously. When I had cancer I got down to about 93 lbs, pretty much skeletal, so I know what I look like without ANY. I need MORE bulk, I just need the right kind. I don't think I need to lose fat as much as build muscle.

Sarah
    What do you mean by the right kind? Muscle grows the way it grows. Different sets/reps will make them grow slower or faster but, at the end of the day, they grow the same. You cant grow "lean" muscle.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Good point. When I say the right kind of bulk, I mean muscle as opposed to fat. I could use more padding in general, but it won't develop on a primal diet without weight-bearing exercise. That's what has finally sunk in due to the PB stuff I've read here.