Thread: Crossfit newbie and recovery page

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!

Crossfit newbie and recovery

Primal Fuel
    I was excited on the recent post about workout recovery. My question is how will I know when I'm recovered enough to go back for more? I attended my first ever crossfit session two days ago. Yesterday and today I've been super stiff in my quads, finding steps and every day squatting difficult. There is a class tonight I considered attending...which would be 60 hours of recovery (although I did do a short pool swim yesterday to try and loosen up.)

Do I push through and go today or wait until Monday? I could easily do an ab or arm workout but squats might kill me. Twenty years ago, while playing sports, I would have just fought through the discomfort and attended my two a day practices. I need some educated advice now.

Thanks!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    A couple of questions... After your first session, are you now going into an "onramp" program with your crossfit gym/box? Does your gym post workouts online? And how much sleep are you getting?

For MOST new people attending crossfit, I would strongly recommend two or three days a week tops, depending on how you space out your days. This works for 1-2 months, provided you are doing some other exercise in between (low impact specifically, like walking, swimming, trail running, etc). After a month or two, I think it's safer to approach four days a week if you'd like to go that frequently. I have been crossfitting for over a year and a half now and I can do five to six days without worry, and even use the 7th as an active recovery day.

Biggest question though, is whether they have you doing any foundations or on ramp program.
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

Ok....this first class was an on ramp class...same being offered again tonight. They suggested coming to five ramp classes before starting in. I'm not sure what the sept schedule is going to look like, but two to three days a week would be my max. I swim and I want to still have time to do that. ...not planning to swim on crossfit days.

I sleep well; that is never a problem. 8-9 hours most nights.

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    I would try to go to the on ramp classes consecutively because, hopefully, provided this is a decent gym you're going to, it should be programed so that the on ramp classes build on each other. If you're super sore, you can always scale the movements and use it as more of an active recovery day.
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

Ok that helps me decide! I will go tonight but will take it easy on my legs!

RobbyJ is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    I was excited on the recent post about workout recovery. My question is how will I know when I'm recovered enough to go back for more? I attended my first ever crossfit session two days ago. Yesterday and today I've been super stiff in my quads, finding steps and every day squatting difficult. There is a class tonight I considered attending...which would be 60 hours of recovery (although I did do a short pool swim yesterday to try and loosen up.)

Do I push through and go today or wait until Monday? I could easily do an ab or arm workout but squats might kill me. Twenty years ago, while playing sports, I would have just fought through the discomfort and attended my two a day practices. I need some educated advice now.

Thanks!
    All right so, like, all I've got to say is that it doesn't matter how long your swim workout was, it matters how intense it was. Get it -- an hour long light swim is not the same as 15m of all out 100 meter sprints. Totally different workouts!

Also there are no ab or arm workouts in any crossfit worth its salt. You should do full body or compound workouts. As for your discomfort, go ahead and work out. If the pain gets tough, take a break.

BuffaloGrok is offline Senior Member
    After several years of crossfit, I will tell you that the tightness and soreness you feel will not go away if you continue a 3-5 WOD/week schedule. However, it has only been in the last year I have discovered self myofascial release (google is your friend). Get on a lacrosse ball, thick PVC pipe or a foam roller before and after your workout and get rid of that tension.

Lacrosse ball is my personal favorite.