Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: So, what do you do for a living? page 13

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentia View Post
    Trainee lawyer. The traineeship lasts two years after which we sit the bar exams. For now I have to work as a general practitioner, which is very formative but definitely not what I want to do. I'm more interested in energy law, banking law and sports arbitration.

Any other lawyers about? I notice I have never met an american lawyer who enjoys his job, whereas europeans generally do. Is there any reason for that or do I just attract grumpy people?
    I am a lawyer. I am happy. Maybe it's because I also work for the government. No doubt about it there are some scummy lawyers about and I have sure met some of them. They certainly do give the profession a bad name. It's my professional quest NEVER to be scummy.

Favorite lawyer joke: If a lawyer and an IRS agent were drowning and you could only save one, would you grab lunch or go for coffee?

(For those not in the US the IRS is the tax collection agency here...)
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

L0kI is offline Senior Member
    Marketing Research Analyst... Primarily in the Financial Sector. Definitely thinking of where to go next...

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Homeschooling your own kids! Now that is a valuable endeavor. The fiance and I have considered that path. Don't skimp out on proper history!

M.
    Thanks! My middle son is in his first year (first grade), and we are studying ancient history (starting at the beginning), so history is going to be a main point of his education. I am a big believer in learning from the past!

It's a tough road, but worth it in the end (in my opinion, of course). I have all ready graduated one son, and have 2 more to go, so I will have done homeschooling for 20 + years by the time I have graduated the next two.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    One already graduated? That is a pretty big gap between them.

M.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    One already graduated? That is a pretty big gap between them.

M.
    I'm into Irish twins. My first set are 19 and 20 and my second set are 4 and 6.

KimT is offline Senior Member
    I am a Dynamic Contraction Technique (DCT) practitioner with Harmonix Health. We do resistance stretching involving muscle contraction through the concentric, isometric, and eccentric range of motion, which helps reset muscle tension, turn on wekaer fibers, break apart scar tissue, and release fascial tightness. We also use our feet for compression work, similar to Thai massage. I am also a kettlebell instructor. I became self employed after over 15 years as an admin/medical assistant when my husband and I quit our jobs and moved cross country to follow our dreams. It's been a great journey.

byrds is offline Junior Member
    Firefighter. Been 95% primal for over a month and seeing good results. Can't wait to see what the future holds.

Off Duty is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimT View Post
    I am a Dynamic Contraction Technique (DCT) practitioner with Harmonix Health. We do resistance stretching involving muscle contraction through the concentric, isometric, and eccentric range of motion, which helps reset muscle tension, turn on wekaer fibers, break apart scar tissue, and release fascial tightness. We also use our feet for compression work, similar to Thai massage. I am also a kettlebell instructor. I became self employed after over 15 years as an admin/medical assistant when my husband and I quit our jobs and moved cross country to follow our dreams. It's been a great journey.
    That is awesome!!
    Great that you decided to follow your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by byrds View Post
    Firefighter. Been 95% primal for over a month and seeing good results. Can't wait to see what the future holds.
    Very cool. Keep us posted on your progress, and thanks for your service.
    Stay safe.

OD

Valentia is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    I'm an American lawyer, been practicing since 2001 and enjoy it mostly--guess I'm the only one! The USA does not have the German/Austrian/Swiss system where you take one bar exam, do a Referendariat and then take a second bar exam although I think that system, like a lot of European training programs, would be beneficial.
    How does the US system work?

Quote Originally Posted by excursivey View Post
    I am a lawyer. I am happy. Maybe it's because I also work for the government. No doubt about it there are some scummy lawyers about and I have sure met some of them. They certainly do give the profession a bad name. It's my professional quest NEVER to be scummy.

Favorite lawyer joke: If a lawyer and an IRS agent were drowning and you could only save one, would you grab lunch or go for coffee?

(For those not in the US the IRS is the tax collection agency here...)
    That's awesome ^^ it's awful to be stuck at a job you don't like.

Excursivey, good one

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    By and large, lawyers are the brunt of jokes and looked down on in the USA. And there are some scummy lawyers about. I don't suppose it is fair that 99% of the lawyers give the other 1% a bad name.
    That's sad, it's meant to be a noble profession...

Also, everyone loves their lawyer until they receive the invoice for fees

jodi29 is offline Member
    I work for a large auto finance company. Basically, I talk to the sales managers and finance guys at dealerships all day and buy car deals for the company. Definitely an interesting job!

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast