Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lentils help constipation? page

biko is offline Senior Member

Lentils help constipation?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, I'm reading lentils might help with constipation?
    Yes?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yes, all that fiber can clog you up...

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Bonneville08 is offline Junior Member
    It's been my experience that a decent fiber intake will regulate my digestion very well, but will not immediately have a positive effect. Given the carb in any legume, I prefer to increase my intake of leafy greens. Mustard and collard greens, kale, chard and spinach as well as cruciferous vegetables would be better IMO, if you're following PB. My two cents for what it's worth.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    A big mug of bone broth that you haven't skimmed the fat off of.

A tablespoon or three of coconut oil.

Just search the word diarrhea, and do what they did.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biko View Post
    Yes?
    so do coconut oil, coffee, bone broth, exercise and magnesium citrate. all primal.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 08-16-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by biko View Post
    Yes?
    Rather than trying to eat something that will relieve a bout of constipation--or the opposite--one should strive to eat in a way that maintains regularity. If you are not pooping once a day, something is off. Also, if your poop is hard and not easily passed without straining, something is off. Both or these conditions: infrequent defacation and compacted stools indicate an improperly functioning gut--mostly diet related. Legumes can be part of a healthy diet plan, but not a quick cure for constipation.

Better to examine your diet and figure out what is causing problems. Not drinking enough water, forcing yourself not to poop regularly, a daily big-ass salad, bone broth, and other primal blueprint basics. Get regular and keep regular!

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Richard Nikoley did a great writeup on beans, particularly lentils, the other day.

How Resistant Starch via Potato Starch and Beans Helped a Type 2 Diabetic | Free The Animal

Just because something is Paleo/Primal doesn't mean it is superior than something that isn't paleo/Primal. I believe most legumes to be more healthful than most nuts, assuming proper preparation of each. Dairy is also not "paleo," but I believe it to be superior to almost all foods. For example, I find dairy to be more healthful than poultry, pork, fish and most fruits and vegetables. The only thing I consider superior to unadultered, grassfed dairy would be ruminant meat, whole eggs, maybe shellfish like shrimp/clams/oysters and tubers like potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Legumes are toxic raw, but when soaked, rinsed and pressure-cooked, they become something different altogether. I'd still avoid soy like the plague, but very low fat beans high in resistant starch like lentils, garbanzos, pintos and black beans I believe can fit into a healthy lifestyle for most of us. They are very low calorie, they are loaded with resistant starch (which means they convert mostly into short-chain fatty acids in our body, not glucose), loaded with soluble fiber for wonderful gut health, contain lots of protein (not complete protein, but this makes them very non-fattening) and they are super filling and mineral dense. They also seem to promote improved glucose tolerance in diabetics, along with increasing insulin sensitivity in normal folks.

Have you ever tried making black bean brownies? If you use canned black beans (which are pressure cooked) and wash them very well, you can make a whole tray of brownies for a few hundred calories, most which is soluble fiber, protein and resistant starch.

If you want a diet that promotes constipation, look no further than a diet filled with meat, fibrous vegetables nuts and seeds. Meat leaves little waste and vegetables/nuts/seeds are mostly insoluble fiber, which can clog you up, kill off gut bacteria cultures and even cause scarring of the intestines. Nuts, seeds and grains are the most problematic since the fiber is sharp and serrated, which can cut you up internally. If you want healthy bowels, you need soluble fiber and sugars as this is what feeds gut cultures. Fruits and starchy tubers like potatoes, sweet potatoes, well-cooked squashes, soaked and well-cooked beans, plantains and bananas can be your savior here. Fermented dairy is also your friend. Kefir and Greek yogurt are great meal supplements for gut health.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-16-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Lentils are about the least offensive of legumes. I do like my daal, but have been off all legumes for a good long while. I happened to eat some daal (an Indian lentil dish) about a month ago and boy, did it flow through ...

Yeah, if you're bunged up ...

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    A big mug of bone broth that you haven't skimmed the fat off of.

A tablespoon or three of coconut oil.

Just search the word diarrhea, and do what they did.
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    so do coconut oil, coffee, bone broth, exercise and magnesium citrate. all primal.
    Right on.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Rather than trying to eat something that will relieve a bout of constipation--or the opposite--one should strive to eat in a way that maintains regularity. If you are not pooping once a day, something is off. Also, if your poop is hard and not easily passed without straining, something is off. Both or these conditions: infrequent defacation and compacted stools indicate an improperly functioning gut--mostly diet related. Legumes can be part of a healthy diet plan, but not a quick cure for constipation.

Better to examine your diet and figure out what is causing problems. Not drinking enough water, forcing yourself not to poop regularly, a daily big-ass salad, bone broth, and other primal blueprint basics. Get regular and keep regular!
    Very reasonable, and I agree. More lifestyle focus and less symptomatic treatment all round. Also recognize that lower carb inherently usually leads to less volumous poos. Hopefully people understand that this is not "constipation".

oxide is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    The once-a-day doesn't have to be a necessity. However, I've noticed that eating cleanest (fewest food additives), feeling light and energetic, and once-a-day all seem happen together.

If you're really stuffed up and just want to relieve it all now, nuts/seeds and fats work. You need to eat lots and lots of nuts -- like a half jar of Macadamias today and the rest of the jar tomorrow. Or half jar of peanuts in a day. Or a big handful of sunflower seeds (which is quite a bit). Couple that with heavily fatty foods -- frozen sausage for example -- and some coffee. No, it's not exactly primal, but it should get things moving and put you in a better mood.

It may be more useful to experiment and discover what blocks you up. For me, it's cheese (especially cottage cheese), excessive veggie fiber, and sugar.
    5'0" female, 42 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: 105.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast