Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and Fat page

bpm
    bpm is offline Junior Member

Alcohol and Fat

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I'm trying to really drop some bodyfat and was wondering about experiences regarding alcohol and fat loss. I'm probably 90% primal, I'm moderately to heavily active (weight lifting, rock climbing, biking etc regularly) and I'm not so far from my goal, maybe 5% less BF.

I'm aware of how alcohol stops fat burning for a time, and obviously there's calories in drinks. My main poison is red wine, followed by clear cocktails like martinis and such. On occasion I'll enjoy a whiskey cocktail but not too often.

I probably average a drink a day in the evenings, with a few extra on the weekends, say 3 or 4 over the course of a Saturday night.

Has anyone seen a big difference in fat loss from completely abstaining? It's tough as most of my social outings are at a bar after work or at a bbq with great wines or a nice dinner where a bottle of wine is ordered, etc. It's not so much that my friends would care one way or another as I myself like a glass of wine with good company. I'm at a pretty stubborn spot, body fat wise, so if you've seen big dips in fat after stopping drinking, I'll definitely do it. If people haven't really seen it, I'll try to be more active but enjoy my glass or two...

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    I don't have a personal account, but I listen to a podcast with Robb Wolf and And Andy Deas. Both guys are already paleo/primal and run a gym. Andy gave up coffee w/heavy cream and alcohol for 30 days as an experiment to see how he would feel. As a side effect he dropped 10 lbs which he attributed to the removal of those elements. He and Robb were both surprised at the fairly significant weight loss from such a small change.

Purely anecdotal. Take it for what it's worth.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    OMG!! I usually manage to down a bottle or even a bottle and half a night. Otherwise pretty much totally paleo. Is this why I can't lose the last few pounds!!?? It is good organic wine though!!!

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    Give up the sauce. I quit cold 3 years ago, & the weight flew off. Combined with the primal lifestyle, you cant miss. I am worried that if you have to ask, you might be missing the boat on the rest of the plan. If my math is correct, you consume more than 12 drinks a week. rough calorie count puts you @ 1 lb. every 2 weeks (24 pounds a year deficit)that you don't need, & seem to be working so hard only to be crushed by a vice that you will feel better (in the long run) without. I will however say that when I stopped drinking, i found out who were real friends, & who was just convienent. I think you know what to do.....so do it.

TxAgDuckman is offline Member
    I've been primal for 5 weeks. I have a lot to lose (100+ lbs). My weight loss has gone like this....
    Week 1: 12 lbs
    Week 2: 4 lbs
    Week 3: 5 lbs
    Week 4: +1 lb
    Week 5: 7 lbs

I've done everything virtually the same from day 1 with only 3 exceptions. I drank 8 beers (BUD SELECT 55...piss water) over an 8 hour period followed by a 20 oz glass of water after each beer on Tuesday night of that 4th week. I also ate a few carbs the following day (2 corn tortillas & 5 or 6 corn chips). Lastly, I did an intermittent fast that Thursday (22 hours) to make up for the previous 2 days cheats. It may have been just the beer, but it was likely all three of those things combined. I was later informed that my IF was likely too long & probably sent my body into starvation mode. That being said, as long as I'm trying to lose weight, I will stay away from beer. I will have a few glasses of red on occasion, though. Didn't seem to hurt me any last week.

TxAgDuckman is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    OMG!! I usually manage to down a bottle or even a bottle and half a night. Otherwise pretty much totally paleo. Is this why I can't lose the last few pounds!!?? It is good organic wine though!!!
    Hahaha!!! I assume this is a joke?

JamieBelle is offline Member
    I would skip any hard liquor drink that requires a mixer. Look at the ingredients on that bottle!! There's a bottle of sour mix in my fridge because my husband uses it with jack (he's NOT primal lol) and there's like 80 g of sugar in 1/4 cup. INSANE. If you can't handle liquor on the rocks, stick to red wine or dry (not sweet) white wine, and keep it to 1-2 drinks per day (even on weekends).

I admit this is my weakness, too. I LOVE wine. I've given up the hard drinks though, for the most part. Every other month or so I might have a martini.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Give it up for 30 days and see how you feel. If you have trouble doing that you may have a bigger problem.

NO OFFENSE (please), but....... It sounds like all of you are letting a buzz that makes you feel "better", kill your chances of actually feeling better. I found out recently that my wife was actually questioning our relationship because of my drinking. I quit drinking (pretty much the same amount as all of you) because I finally realized it was a waste of my time, & i couldn't see my toes (among other parts). Now 3 years later I look back & realize how awsome i feel, and the fact that my plans are not dictated by where the alcohol would be. Correct me if im wrong, but isnt most alcohol made from grains? Try using that logic. I think when the PB mentions alcohol, it means maybe a glass of wine a week, not 1-2 drink a day. I am not trying to stand on a soap box, but try it for a month along with the PB, i bet you never go back to your old ways. BTW don't forget the bad dietery choices one makes while under the influence. Standing around a cooler watching your kids play, actually sucks for them, "get out & play" PLEASE don't turn this into a "battle blog" it was not my intent.

I dont think he was kidding!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast