Thread: Shirataki Noodles page

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member

Shirataki Noodles

Primal Fuel
    Anyone ever try them? Are they considered primal? They come from a root in china or japan and have like 2 carbs for an entire bag.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    I've looked in on them, but I haven't tried them yet. I love asian style noodle soup dishes, but I don't crave anything like that anymore.

...now if they could make a dim sum dumpling skin...

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Don't think theyre strictly primal, but with such low carbs I don't see why you shouldn't try them if you feel like it Just don't make em a staple, and if you find they affect you negatively just don't eat em again!

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    From what I can gather they are a bit rubbery. That may be a turn off. I love asian soups especially Pho which is a Vietnamese soup. I could eat the meat and drink the broth but I would need a really big bowl to fill me up if I didn't eat the noodles.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've used them a bunch. They aren't rubbery; it's more like "springy" feeling as you bite into them. Some brands are quite soft, though and not springy.
    They have no flavor at all, so I rinse off the seaweedy-smelling water they come in and boil them in salted water for about 10 min to flavor them and soften them a bit.

I use them in Asian soups and as a base for curries (you can pulse them in a food processor to get a rice-like quality) or like pasta with creamy sauces. I really like them.
    Last edited by hazyjane; 06-01-2010 at 08:05 PM.