Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do sheep eat? page

Antiochia is offline Senior Member

What do sheep eat?

Primal Fuel
    Aren't sheep mostly grass fed? Do they ever eat grain? What about lamb for sale in my local grocery store? Would it be grass fed -- or would I have to go somewhere special to get grass fed lamb like I do to get grass fed beef?
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    In NZ they eat grass....
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member
    In the UK too.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Whole Foods here marks all their grass-fed meats with a green label clearly indicating it as such. I noticed their ground lamb didn't have the green label.

My assumption with all large companies is that unless something is labelled grass-fed, organic, bgh-free, non-GMO, or anything else with a specific legal definition, it's traditionally raised. I might be wrong, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

You could ask the grocery store for its source.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    They mostly eat grass here in Aus, but if grass is scarce farmers will supplement with grain... My FIL used to supp with oats I think. The sheep would still eat whatever grass they could get though.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    u.s. raised lamb is more and more often fed with grain. i've stopped buying it.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Lamb is a fairly safe bet as it will have been on milk for much of its life, should go onto grass, but even if grain fed, they don't usually have a long life on solids, poor, tasty things!

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Luckily it's all grass fed here in the uk, I buy mine from a local farm which is fab

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    What do sheep eat?

30 BANANAS A DAY!

diene is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The guy at the meat counter at Whole Foods told me that lamb is always grass-fed. I'm not sure if he meant that lamb is always grass-fed everywhere or if it's just that the lamb at Whole Foods is always grass-fed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast