Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do sheep eat? page 2

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    The guy at the meat counter at Whole Foods told me that lamb is always grass-fed. I'm not sure if he meant that lamb is always grass-fed everywhere or if it's just that the lamb at Whole Foods is always grass-fed.
    if it's u.s. lamb this is patently false. it's why american lamb now is much cheaper, milder and fattier than it was in the past.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    The good news is ruminants - cows and sheep - have such intricate digestive systems their fatty acid profiles don't really change based on feed. When you feed a pig or chicken lots of corn and soy, their fats change to the lipid profile of that of a vegetable oil (similar to humans). Ruminants aren't really affected. A grain-fed cow is almost the same as a grassfed cow in terms of fatty acid distribution - the PUFA doesn't change. Grain-fed ruminants, though, do tend to carry more fat, though.

The biggest benefit as I see it comes from no hormones. Going from CAFO to organic makes a lot of sense IMO, and the cost markup is small. Going from organic to grassfed, though, at supermarket prices is a massive jump. IMO, if you have a chest freezer and can afford a whole cow, grassfed is the way to go since you'll average $4-5/lb. Buying individual cuts is insane at $15+/lb though, so the organic/no added hormones for an extra $1-2/lb is the way to go IMO.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
    What do sheep eat?

30 BANANAS A DAY!
    I was going to make the same joke for Paleo. Hah.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    My gawd Zach we thought alike on something....

Your avatar strongly suggests a lot of banana eating.
    Last edited by Terry H; 08-16-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the replies. It seems to me, if I have to buy meat at a regular grocery store, lamb is probably a better choice than the beef. Maybe that's not saying much, but good to know.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiochia View Post
    Thanks for the replies. It seems to me, if I have to buy meat at a regular grocery store, lamb is probably a better choice than the beef. Maybe that's not saying much, but good to know.
    I'm with you there. I always think of how many people eat a thing. Fewer people in the U.S. eat lamb, so it's not like they have to crank it out like they do beef. Before the whole country found out that salmon was good for them, there weren't any salmon farms.

Since so many folks (not here) are low-fatters, in my nightmares, somewhere there are chickens being bred to grow with no skin. They've already bred the poor chickens and turkeys with such big breasts that they can barely walk.

As to listening to clerks in Whole Foods, just a reminder that awhile back, there was a mini-scandal about WF clerks telling shoppers that of course WF didn't carry any GMOs. When cornered, the CEO admitted that you couldn't really have a grocery store in this country without selling some GMO-containing products. So, for me, it will remain: label it or I don't believe it.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    The good news is ruminants - cows and sheep - have such intricate digestive systems their fatty acid profiles don't really change based on feed. When you feed a pig or chicken lots of corn and soy, their fats change to the lipid profile of that of a vegetable oil (similar to humans). Ruminants aren't really affected. A grain-fed cow is almost the same as a grassfed cow in terms of fatty acid distribution - the PUFA doesn't change.
    Do you have a reference for that?
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

nergerty is offline Junior Member
    WEEL,according to me!
    Sheep eat about six pounds of food a day. They do this because if they do not get a stedy diet they will not have a thick or maybe on whool at all!
    Give me suggestion!
    Last edited by nergerty; 08-25-2013 at 10:42 PM.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    Do you have a reference for that?
    I don't really know how to provide source information for this, but this is how it is. Ruminants don't have a significant fatty acid profile shift based on diet. Pork and poultry, on the other hand, do. I recommend reading this:

Good Lard, Bad Lard: What Do You Get When You Cross a Pig and a Coconut? | Mother Nature Obeyed - Weston A Price Foundation

This shows how wildly pork fatty acid profiling shapes with their diet. A CAFO diet where they are fed refined soybean oil to fatten them up quickly has PUFA approaching 30% in their tissues. A standard pastured diet of acorns is actually slightly higher in PUFA than when fed low fat grains, and a diet of coconut nearly eliminates the PUFA in their skin and makes them even more highly saturated than beef and lamb.

Human tissue does the same.

Now if you read this:

Why Grass-Fed Trumps Grain-Fed

I mentioned in my previous post that the ratio of saturated to monounsaturated to polyunsaturated fat in beef stays about the same regardless of what the animal is fed. (1)Those ratios might shift slightly depending on the animal’s diet, but the shifts are still relatively small. On average, grass-fed beef tends to have slightly lower levels of MUFA and slightly higher levels of PUFA than grain-fed, but these differences are at most five percentage points, depending on the breed of cattle and the study in question. So regardless of whether your beef is grain-fed or grass-fed, you’ll be getting about 40-50% saturated fat, about 40-50% monounsaturated fat, and somewhere near 10% polyunsaturated fat.
    This mirrors what I've seen - grain fed beef is slightly higher in saturated fats and slightly lower in unsaturated fats than grass fed...surprisingly, right? Grain fed beef also contains a lot more fat. Grassfed tends to be leaner.

Not sure about that 10% PUFA number. Beef I've seen tends to be around ~5% PUFA, I feel that's a highball number.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiochia View Post
    Lambs yummier than beef in my opinion anyway
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast