Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Recovery and Body weight exercises page

  1. #1
    DennyB's Avatar
    DennyB is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    234

    Recovery and Body weight exercises

    Primal Fuel
    I chose to do body weight exercises instead of lifting weights which aren't that good for me. With recovery though, would it be better if I spaced my workouts out as if im doing heavy weight lifting or keep doing them daily?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

  2. #2
    Jennifla's Avatar
    Jennifla is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    209
    I'm also doing bodyweight exercises, and I have been tinkering with recovery times. I can do squats 4 or 5 days in a row, then I seem to need a couple days off. For pullups (assisted) I seem to be making progress doing them one day a week. I am 47 years old with arthritis in cervical vertebrae, so my main concern is avoiding injury. I also take into account the fun stuff I do in between, a little running, biking, paddling. I just listen to my muscles and joints.
    As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

  3. #3
    Iron Will's Avatar
    Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vancouver B.C
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyB View Post
    I chose to do body weight exercises instead of lifting weights which aren't that good for me. With recovery though, would it be better if I spaced my workouts out as if im doing heavy weight lifting or keep doing them daily?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
    Hi Denny. Why do you feel lifting weights isn't good for you? Depending on your level of expertise in body weight training can change your rest/recovery days but if you are a beginner there's no reason why you can't do them everyday.

  4. #4
    vincebae's Avatar
    vincebae is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    61
    One good thing about bodyweight training is that it is very suitable for GTG (Grease the Groove) technique.
    It is a term coined by Pavel Tsatsouline and the detail is in his book "The Naked Warrior", but you should be able to find the information easily from web search.
    With GTG, you have multiple mini sessions throughout the day and you can train 5~6 days a week.
    3 days train and one day off or 6 days train and one day off pattern might be good.

  5. #5
    DennyB's Avatar
    DennyB is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    Hi Denny. Why do you feel lifting weights isn't good for you? Depending on your level of expertise in body weight training can change your rest/recovery days but if you are a beginner there's no reason why you can't do them everyday.
    About 20 years ago when I was 17 I had a massive stroke, since then I have made a huge recovery but I am still left with some deficits. Lifting does nothing for me but makes my right side more dominant while making my left side tight and for the most part unusable. Body weight exercises bring my body into better balance, so much so that my gait is starting to change for the better!

  6. #6
    Swarley's Avatar
    Swarley is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    22
    I guess it depends on how brutal your sessions are. I pretty much do strictly bodyweight exercises and over the course of 3 - 4months I determined that I function the best doing 1 day on then 2 days off (so workout monday, rest tuesday, rest wednesday, workout thursday). Go ahead and tinker with your rest periods, everyone is different!
    The greater the achievement the more difficult the path. The easy road is granted to those less fortunate as a consolation prize.

  7. #7
    Iron Will's Avatar
    Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vancouver B.C
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyB View Post
    About 20 years ago when I was 17 I had a massive stroke, since then I have made a huge recovery but I am still left with some deficits. Lifting does nothing for me but makes my right side more dominant while making my left side tight and for the most part unusable. Body weight exercises bring my body into better balance, so much so that my gait is starting to change for the better!
    Ah! That makes sense. I unfortunately don't have any experience with stroke recovery so I really can't comment with enough knowledge to be of assistance. My only thought would be to make sure to stretch the effected side very well after any exercise and to make sure you are doing full range of motion movements in your body weight program as well as a dynamic warm up that again consists of full range of motion.

    As for body weight exercises, if you can do them everyday, do them everyday. If you need a break after 3 days, take a day off then start again.

    I do believe that at some point in the future weights would be beneficial for you but again the range of motion/dynamic warm up and stretch at the end are going to be the key.

  8. #8
    dilberryhoundog's Avatar
    dilberryhoundog is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    545
    Do both, mix up your protocol, some weeks high output, some weeks low output. Give it a try, you won't go back to a rigid protocol.


    Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

  9. #9
    DennyB's Avatar
    DennyB is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    Ah! That makes sense. I unfortunately don't have any experience with stroke recovery so I really can't comment with enough knowledge to be of assistance. My only thought would be to make sure to stretch the effected side very well after any exercise and to make sure you are doing full range of motion movements in your body weight program as well as a dynamic warm up that again consists of full range of motion.

    As for body weight exercises, if you can do them everyday, do them everyday. If you need a break after 3 days, take a day off then start again.

    I do believe that at some point in the future weights would be beneficial for you but again the range of motion/dynamic warm up and stretch at the end are going to be the key.
    I do range of motion constantly (sometimes I think subconsciously) it keeps things lose and feeling good. I also exercise daily, sometimes multiple times. Especially when achieving a new exercise (when I was able to do a primal chair I think I did one every half hour just because) One of Mark's blogs really got me thinking of recovery and over training. Can you over train with body weight exercises?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

  10. #10
    Iron Will's Avatar
    Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vancouver B.C
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyB View Post
    I do range of motion constantly (sometimes I think subconsciously) it keeps things lose and feeling good. I also exercise daily, sometimes multiple times. Especially when achieving a new exercise (when I was able to do a primal chair I think I did one every half hour just because) One of Mark's blogs really got me thinking of recovery and over training. Can you over train with body weight exercises?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
    Funny that you ask about over training I just posted on another questions regarding over training. Your body is an amazing organism and can adapt and repair very well. There have been studies done on over training and I recently read one that tells about how far you can push your body until you actually truly become over trained. Body with body weight at an intermediate level you can train every day. Your body will get tired but you will adapt. Just remember 3 things. Eat well, drink lots of water, and sleep like a teenager.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •