Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from a converted skeptic! page

Docjoe is offline Junior Member

Greetings from a converted skeptic!

Shop Now
    Hi everyone, have been lurking here for a while and decided to officially join in the fun!

I am 45 years old, married, father of 2. I am a physician by trade (oncologist) and I have for years been very skeptical about all of these "fad diets". My nutrition recommendations to my patients has been the standard mainstream medical advise - mostly fruits and vegetables, easy on the meat and fat, grains and starches are great, dairy is fine if it doesn't bother your stomach.

In my work, I both treat cancer patients but also direct a clinical research program. A discussion about the causes of cancer would be a whole other thread but the avalanche of data pointing at the tidal wave of cancer coming our way due to insulin resistance and obesity is too much to ignore. And it is also clear that the epidemic of bad health afflicting our nation is more than just too many calories in and too few calories out.

From a personal standpoint, I have always felt that I am pretty healthy. I've not struggled with obesity but have always wanted to drop that extra 10 or 15 pounds. I have been a fairly avid runner and do a couple of half marathons per year. My diet has been the typical Americanized diet - lots of grains, too much processed junk. And when it came right down to it, I just didn't feel very healthy. I went in for a check-up myself and my lipid profile was pretty crappy and my liver enzymes were a little high indicating probable hepatic steatosis.

One of my patients actually gave me a book about the paleo diet which I skimmed. I finally decided to dig into things a bit more and the more data I saw, the more impressed I was. I had always thought of this as a glorified Atkin's diet but I was clearly wrong about that.

I decided to try out this lifestyle myself. It has been about 6 weeks. I dumped the running (from which I was chronically injured and getting squishier all the time) and started lifting "heavy" 3 days per week. I switched my diet to Paleo (hasn't been perfect but a work in progress). I was shocked to see that I dropped 10 pounds and nearly 2 pants sizes in the first month without even intending to. My sleep has been great, my digestion has been great. The only downside is that I've had to do way more cooking!

So personally I'm convinced. And I think professionally I am also convinced. When I talk to my patients about food, I still emphasize fruits and vegetables (which I still think needs to be the basis for a cancer survivor) but now recommend considering dumping grains and to not be afraid of healthy meats. People are still looking for the magic bullet - a dietary supplement that will cure cancer. I think giving the body the nutrition it needs can't be replicated in a pill. But my view of what that nutrition should look like has shifted.

So I look forward to participating in this community. I have devoted my life to finding ways to make people healthy. But it's clear that there has been a huge gap in my education. Here's to trying to fill it.

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    Good stuff!! Love having an MD jump on board. I hope your personal experience will provide the "fire in the belly" when you provide the nutrition advice to your patients.

Huarache Gal is online now Senior Member
    Welcome Doc! I wish all medical folks (and folks in general) were as open-minded as you!

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Welcome docjoe. Your relevations are truly awesome!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! It's great to have you here doctor. Yes, you have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen but it's a small price to pay. I like how you mentioned sleep being better. That was a huge difference I noticed right away but with me the weight training seems to be the biggest reason I sleep so good. If I don't lift for a week my sleep immediately suffers.
    Last edited by Mr. Koozie; 08-15-2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Grammar clean-up
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

mojowrkn is offline Junior Member

Great to here....

Im not a Doc but I was skeptical as well and have had similiar results. My biggest surprise has been steadily improving (quantifiable) power output on the bike.

Glad to have you here!

Docjoe is offline Junior Member
    Thanks guys! This looks like a pretty amazing, active community and I look forward to participating.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Great intro, I'm glad you've joined us. I look forward to hearing more from you.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Welcome DocJoe.

Congrats on the results so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Docjoe View Post
    When I talk to my patients about food, I still emphasize fruits and vegetables (which I still think needs to be the basis for a cancer survivor) but now recommend considering dumping grains and to not be afraid of healthy meats. People are still looking for the magic bullet - a dietary supplement that will cure cancer. I think giving the body the nutrition it needs can't be replicated in a pill. But my view of what that nutrition should look like has shifted.

So I look forward to participating in this community. I have devoted my life to finding ways to make people healthy. But it's clear that there has been a huge gap in my education. Here's to trying to fill it.

Open minded doc- great.

Some people eat ketogenic diets ( near zero fruit, very little veg, high animal fat) for cancer re-occurrence prevention.

I believe the basic idea is that cancer being fast growing cells prefers a 'fast' fuel like carbs and doesn't do so well on 'slow' fuel ( fat) - but normal body cells can do well with fat for fuel.

Anyway, I would be interested to read some posts from you in the future.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hello doc!

There are a few other doctors of various stripes on here (I am thinking of an ophthalmologist in particular at the moment), and it is always nice to have another person of science on board. Which I am not, btw - I just muddle through the best I can!

Welcome here, and may your stay be informative and fun and thought-provoking!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast