Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Combining strength and hypertrophy? page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Combining strength and hypertrophy?

Shop Now
    I have done SS for over a year and it's starting to bore me. I thoight maybe it would be cool if I added some bodybuilding stuff.
    I came up with this workout (it's a 10 day split):

Day 1: Upper body strength
    Day 3: Lower body strength
    Day 5: (Start workout with 3x5 bench press and shoulder press) then hypertrophy: chest, shoulders, triceps
    Day 6: (Start workout with 1x5 deadlift) then hypertrophy: Back and biceps
    Day: 8: Full body strength (basically an SS workout

So tell me, is this a horrible idea?
    Billie trips balls

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    Doesn't sound particularly horrible, but I'd look into doing 5/3/1 with the boring but big accessory workout. I've had good success with that before, and have just started doing it again.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I have done SS for over a year and it's starting to bore me.
    Wait, you've added 800 pounds to your squats?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Looks like too much volume to me, but I'm old (at least compared to you).

I think your little misguided to think that Adding hypertrophy to your strength work will somehow require Less rest. Cause thats what this program looks like to me.

But IMO part of the fun is creating a program and running it for a while to see how it works for you. Sure you aren't really qualified and there are plenty of time tested ones out there, but Hell you are young and as long as you get the basics down the worst that really can happen is nothing . So give it a run for 4-6 weeks and see if its worth anything.

And I will go ahead and agree ahead of time with people saying "What getting strong is boring?" And such, but heck I remember being 16/17... and at that time building a program and doing it yourself had some intrinsic value. Maybe it was the mental work of putting togeather a routine from the ground up and doing it. Thats where the "fun" I'm talking bout comes in.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-15-2013 at 05:31 AM.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Wait, you've added 800 pounds to your squats?
    Hmm you're right. Actually I initially just wanted to seperate my squats from my other exercises. Do you think this is possible?
    Billie trips balls

Yup. Definitely possible. Programs like 5/3/1 are laid out with squats (and their assistance) on their own day (assuming the 4-day/week version).

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, remember to stay on Starting Strength until you are "strong enough", adding 800 pound to your squat is a minimum here...
    "When a person is poor in knowledge then he is rich in ignorance and stubbornness, carefully heeding around the little that he knows ..."
    - Gorbag

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    My question to you is what is your goal? Speaking as a trainer the program you set up seems all over the place. A little of this with a touch of that and then maybe some new shoes and a gym bag and I'll be jacked!!!

Sit down, and figure what do I want to be able to do in 3 months and set a program for that goal. Forget about bicep curls and triceps extensions. Pull ups, squats, chest press and deadlift. Get strong, then you get jacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    My question to you is what is your goal? Speaking as a trainer the program you set up seems all over the place. A little of this with a touch of that and then maybe some new shoes and a gym bag and I'll be jacked!!!

Sit down, and figure what do I want to be able to do in 3 months and set a program for that goal. Forget about bicep curls and triceps extensions. Pull ups, squats, chest press and deadlift. Get strong, then you get jacked.
    I'm not sure exactly how strong Gadsie has gotten himself, but he has been doing a pretty strength-focused program for quite a while. I think he wants to maintain/slowly gain strength but add some sort of hypertrophy focus. I think something like 5/3/1 with the Boring but Big assistance work might be appropriate. Don't you?

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    5/3/1 is a great program no doubt and I've had clients that have made nice gains using this program but there are a ton of good ones out there and they really do depend on specific goals and experience.

Before suggesting any program or trying to make a goal about lifting a certain weight make the goal to perform the perfect squat. Drop the weight and work the mechanics. You would not believe how poorly people squat. It's one if my pet peeves. Learning proper body mechanics when you're you g will pay huge dividends in the future.

That's a great 3 month goal. Learn how to squat with perfect form. It's a bigger challenge than you may think.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast