Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Combining strength and hypertrophy? page 4

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    What do you do if you fail a rep on this Wendler program?
    Billie trips balls

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Repeat the cycle. If you fail 3 cycles in a row, then do a deload for that lift.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Why does everyone have to follow someone else's program now days, what happened to assessing your weaknesses and building your own routine based on personal educated planning ?

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Why does everyone have to follow someone else's program now days, what happened to assessing your weaknesses and building your own routine based on personal educated planning ?
    I'm a product of the American public school system. I don't question authority .

5/3/1 is a very flexible program. Other than the four big lifts, you can do whatever the heck you want. Whether that's dips, power cleans, curls, leg presses, lateral raises, sprints, yoga, underwater basket weaving, or even nothing, it doesn't really matter. Just make progress on those main four and that should get you through life pretty well.

However, I can't really call what I do 5/3/1 anymore. I've bastardized it quite a bit to fit my own goals.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Frankly some people shouldn't be trying to develop their own program. Primarily novices. Its usually not a bad idea to start with a simple proven strategy. You have been lifting quite a few years (as have I)....we've been around the gym, spoken and learned from people. Gadsie here just got started less than a year ago (I think?).

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Frankly some people shouldn't be trying to develop their own program. Primarily novices. Its usually not a bad idea to start with a simple proven strategy. You have been lifting quite a few years (as have I)....we've been around the gym, spoken and learned from people. Gadsie here just got started less than a year ago (I think?).
    Fair point.

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
    I'm a product of the American public school system. I don't question authority .

5/3/1 is a very flexible program. Other than the four big lifts, you can do whatever the heck you want. Whether that's dips, power cleans, curls, leg presses, lateral raises, sprints, yoga, underwater basket weaving, or even nothing, it doesn't really matter. Just make progress on those main four and that should get you through life pretty well.

However, I can't really call what I do 5/3/1 anymore. I've bastardized it quite a bit to fit my own goals.
    Lol

I tend to go in there with what i 'feel' like doing. I just make sure im doing either deadlifts or squats as my base and then do whatever THE FUCK i wanna do for the rest.

5/3/1 is my fall back rep range if my first set see's me doing 5 and struggling, then i try make it 5x3 if not 5/3/1. I think that's a good strength/hypertrophy range.

Quote Originally Posted by zizou View Post
    Lol

I tend to go in there with what i 'feel' like doing. I just make sure im doing either deadlifts or squats as my base and then do whatever THE FUCK i wanna do for the rest.

5/3/1 is my fall back rep range if my first set see's me doing 5 and struggling, then i try make it 5x3 if not 5/3/1. I think that's a good strength/hypertrophy range.
    It's an old argument that we keep coming back to but I just can't see how there is enough time under tension in that rep range to be anywhere near optimal for hypertrophy. Seeing as how hypertrophy and strength run pretty linear in that large gains in one can't be made without the gains in the other I'd doubt it would be optimal for strength either.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    It's an old argument that we keep coming back to but I just can't see how there is enough time under tension in that rep range to be anywhere near optimal for hypertrophy. Seeing as how hypertrophy and strength run pretty linear in that large gains in one can't be made without the gains in the other I'd doubt it would be optimal for strength either.
    Well, on the other hand, some people don't see how working out at a low enough percentage of your maximal strength output as is required for intentionally slowing down reps can stimulate a strength adaptation. But when you're doing a set of 5 that's heavy, you go slow because you can't go any faster, not because you choose not to, so I personally think that heavy sets of 5 across have a place in any program, whether your intent is to increase muscle size or the neuromuscular ability to contract all the muscle fibers.

As far as the 5/3/1 program, it's sort of a self-normalizing program if you do the AMRAP sets. I'm presently aiming for at least 8-10 reps on the final set of my "5/5/5" week, 6-8 on the final set of my "3/3/3" week and 3-6 on the final set of my "5/3/1" week. Although as the weights go up, these numbers will go down, and I'll probably be doing some inadvertently really slow sets much closer to the prescribed minimums (5, 3, and 1 respectively). It follows a lot of the principles of block periodization, but is easier for a lot of people to program, since there are about a thousand spreadsheets available free on the interwebz and it's not too hard to make one yourself.
    The Champagne of Beards

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234