Yoghurt!

M.
    Yogurt is not a lifestyle.
    As much as I love it...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Danny Yun is offline Junior Member
    All of the advice is lovely. Hot plates and other cooking tools are prohibited to use in barracks rooms. Fire hazard, but I think there is enough here to make a go of it.

I really appreciate everyone's input, thanks for that!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Microwaves tend to be terrible for cooking proteins (since it overcooks them). About the only good one is cream + butter + eggs, but you have to stir it every 30s.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Well then, zap potatoes and put on butter and cheese. I could eat that every day twice a day.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Yogurt is not a lifestyle.
    As much as I love it...
    Going to have to disagree.

M.

atmetal is offline Senior Member
    I lived primally for over a year in barracks. I walked to the commissary and cooked everything in the microwave, including meat. Yes, there is more appetizing ways to prepare it, but it was tolerable enough (lots of seasonings). I bought a plastic pot that I would cook any vegetables that I couldn't get in steamable bags. I also bought a microwave omlete device and a microwave egg poacher. Eggs tend to cook unevenly despite the rotating plate, so I usually used the defrost setting, which lowers the microwave's power. Potatoes cook nicely in the microwave with only a few fork piercings. I would also get a plastic cover to put over the plates as food cooks. This keeps the microwave sat and contains the heat so as to theoretically cook the outside of the meat faster, giving you a chance of not having overcooked meat. Eventually, I bought a Foreman grill. I don't know if those are allowed, but I didn't care. They don't make smoke to set of the detectors and when I wasn't using it, I hid it away in my closet. Also, a lot of my food came from food I didn't have to cook, such as fruit, cheese, yogurt, and nuts. It had the extra bonus of less preparation time and cleanup time.

It's too bad about your galley. The salad bar at mine had the iceburg lettuce but it also had baby spinach, raw broccoli and other raw veggies, nuts, canned tuna, and sometimes even chopped up boiled eggs. All I had to do was bring in my own primal-approved dressing to avoid all the soybean oil. This was my lunch everyday. Saved me quite a bit of money when I really needed it. Also saved time since I only waited in the infamous lines for a tray and utensils. Once I got those, no more waiting since I just jumped ahead of everyone waiting for the cooked "food".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12