Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does carb consumption vary by person? page

JimA2985 is offline Member

Question does carb consumption vary by person?

Shop Now
    Hello,

I have a question about carb consumption. In the PB, Mark says that you want keep them under 150g a day. I'm wondering if that's a hard and fast number, or if that varies per person. So for instance, the average caloric consumption is supposed to be 2000 a day. But I'm 6'4" and around 200 lbs, so my caloric consumption is closer to 3000. So I'm wondering if your carb count is on the same kind of sliding scale - so for instance, should I be keeping it under, say for example, 225g a day instead?

Thanks!

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    I believe the 150 gram limit would be the upper limit, and it would fluctuate person to person between 0 and 150 grams. So yes, it would vary from person to person, as I think it should.

You can fill up the rest of the calories with protein and fat...

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    I'm just using logic here but I'd say...

whereas it does make sense that different people can have varying ranges for 'maximum carbohydrate consumption while remaining weight stable' I'd say why would you want to dance with the upper limit anyway?

as far as my view point goes I'd say if your carb counts max out at that number occasionally than so be it, but there is no reason to make it a goal to max out your carb count everyday.

personally I find that as long as you eat the 'right foods' it is fairly challenging to boost my carbs into the upper limit as such I only go over my own goals when I 'cheat' using things such as honey/syrup/sugar or eat some grains/garbage...

just to clarify, it makes logical sense that different people have different limits... but personally I don't see any reason to flirt with the upper limit with anything in life...

"Everything in moderation, even moderation"

Fury22 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatkid View Post

personally I don't see any reason to flirt with the upper limit with anything in life...

"Everything in moderation, even moderation"
    That's quite sad.
    Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    to get to 225 gr carbs a day you would have to consume some type of grain product or eat a ton of potatoes. Doing it all from veg would be nary impossible, and our carbs should really come from veg and fruit mainly. I also dont see any reason why you should eat more than 150g a day, no matter how big you are. Having more muscle and LBM just means you should eat more protein and fat.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    It's not a linear scale of doom and death, for some people 150g is healthier and more desirable than 50g. You have to find what works for you. Carbs become unhealthy when they replace fats and protein that we need for optimal functioning, but 150g isn't there yet. They also become unhealthy in the case of significant insulin resistance.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

JamieBelle is offline Member
    I'm 5 feet 0 inches, weigh around 105, and eat 50 g or less carbs a day.

Personally I can't imagine how I'd eat more unless I stuffed myself full of fruit.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    225 g of carbs and 3000 calories is really hard to achieve if fully primal, especially if you calibrate protein at the 0.7-1.0 g per lb, ratio. But the real issue is you want to have your carbs at a level where they are not triggering roller coasting blood sugar.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    The upper limit of the curve is variable depending on a persons athleticism rather than size.

If you are a 7 foot couch potatoe your muscles abilty to store glucose would be compromised compared to the 4'10 athlete whose glucose stores are depleted on a regular basis.

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fury22 View Post
    That's quite sad.
    Perhaps I should restate;

Personally I don't see any reason to flirt with a relatively undefined upper limit of anything in life when the risks include things such as obesity, diabetes, or even so much as early death. Much akin to playing on the tracks... you know a train will be there eventually, so I'd prefer to hang out elsewhere... with that in mind though... I will venture around tracks on occasion without fear... ...

to clarify... whereas I try to avoid my upper carb limit for most days...there are days when I will meet or exceed my pre-defined maximum as long as it is only occasionally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast