Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would Grokette have been a sorority girl? page

fcby9 is offline Senior Member

Would Grokette have been a sorority girl?

Primal Fuel
    Hi, all

At the risk of sounding a little sensational, I hereby pose the question: what do you all think of Greek life as being a component of the college experience? I'm thinking of rushing this fall (I'll be a college sophomore), and I go to a very academically focused school, so it doesn't by any means dominate the social scene. (AND we don't have sorority houses.)

I was thinking about Mark's "The Primal Connection" book yesterday, and how being in the a sorority (the bonding/fraternization, getting to know the girls, doing activities together, going through thick and thin together) is kind of in the same vein as what Grokette might have done with her fellow ladies back in the day -- mellow activities like braiding each other's hair, relaxing together, etc.

Granted, there's always the catty element when lots of girls together, but would you be willing to overlook that? I'm also not a drinker, but have never felt pressured to drink either (I just say I'm allergic to the gluten in beer).

Thoughts?

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    all existing institutions that sound good in principle only survive because they in fact are not and are fronts for all of the shittiness that props up the ruling order. Or, they would not sound good in principle, or, they would have been destroyed.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

fcby9 is offline Senior Member
    I guess my question is somewhere along the lines of, is Greek life complementary of a PB-friendly life? In your opinions. Assuming that nutrition, sleep, exercise (the big issues for college students) are all dialed in.

the opposite- it's an engine that drives wheat and beer culture into campus minds by allocating sexual resources toward reward of such development.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fcby9 View Post
    I guess my question is somewhere along the lines of, is Greek life complementary of a PB-friendly life? In your opinions. Assuming that nutrition, sleep, exercise (the big issues for college students) are all dialed in.
    Lol..ignore the "I am the smartest person in the room" troll. Do what you want and maybe stop trying to fit it all into a primal mold. If you don't like it, you can quit. Social fun is a huge part of the college experience. I did it without the sorority. You should do it if you think you will benefit.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    the opposite- it's an engine that drives wheat and beer culture into campus minds by allocating sexual resources toward reward of such development.
    WTF

are you seriously going to take the position that greek life is not a cult of the beer god?

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    I belieeeeeeeve... Grok had as many different personality quirks as modern types do so i imagine that yeahsure, get in that sorority
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Paleobird Guest
    If you were my daughter I would counsel you to concentrate on your studies. There is plenty of social life to be found on a college campus if you want it but, if you are in a frat/sorority, the social life/group events become attendance mandatory even if you have a paper due the next day. Not worth it IMO.

I'm not saying don't party and have fun and friends, just pick when, where, and how much carefully.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    WTF

Just put him on ignore. Your forum experiences will go more smoothly.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast