Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would Grokette have been a sorority girl? page 2

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I put someone on ignore once

it was terrible D: instead of their prescence disappearing there was a box where their posts were, saying 'you know how you didnt want to see this person anymore? Well heres something to let you know you cant see them while seeing where they are!'
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    I put someone on ignore once

it was terrible D: instead of their prescence disappearing there was a box where their posts were, saying 'you know how you didnt want to see this person anymore? Well heres something to let you know you cant see them while seeing where they are!'
    More odd stuff. Use your smart self.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

prodistat is online now Senior Member
    It depends on the college/university and the sorority. Some are pretty hardcore partiers, and some it's more like a strong group of friends with some rituals and mandatory fees/dues. Some people try to coerse you to drink, but if you tell them to fuck off enough, they usually do. If they don't, the. You're better off not joining.

Your grades will suffer and you'll have to pay a lot, but you could have some pretty awesome friends/experiences and support network after college. You can always leave if you don't like it. You don't have to compromise your values.

Rushing will be the best semester you have in the sorority. It's generally a lot more work after that.

Good luck and enjoy college!
    Prodistat
    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    OP, you sound like a sensible woman. If you're interested because you're interested (IOW not because of outside pressure), go for it. At best, you'll make friends and be part of a mini-tribe. At worst, you'll find it vapid, and walk away. Depending on your career path, networking may be a very important skill for you to learn. Yes, it should be about how smart you are and how well you perform, but all too often it is more about who you know. These alliances may prove useful in the future.

Please report back on your decision and how it worked out. Good luck!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    OP, you sound like a sensible woman. If you're interested because you're interested (IOW not because of outside pressure), go for it. At best, you'll make friends and be part of a mini-tribe. At worst, you'll find it vapid, and walk away. Depending on your career path, networking may be a very important skill for you to learn. Yes, it should be about how smart you are and how well you perform, but all too often it is more about who you know. These alliances may prove useful in the future.

Please report back on your decision and how it worked out. Good luck!
    Translation: Joanie was a huge party girl and she turned out okay, so you probably will too.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I would never have joined a sorority, but if I had been so inclined, I think I'd try to get first hand accounts of the sorority life on the campus before joining. Drinking was never a real interest of mine and I would have been really unhappy in a party-based sorority. Community events, fund raising, and excursions would have been more appealing and REALLY beneficial for me (was not terribly social for the first couple of years in college).

But seriously, do put your academics first. That's kind of what you're going to school for, yes? Well, that and making connections. I worked a part-time job on campus almost the whole time I was in school, just minus one semester. For me, I ultimately ended up putting more work into my job because it was easier. This served me well since it ended up being my profession (studied English, now in the IT field).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    My whole thing is: I had plenty of great friends in college, and didn't have to pay to get them. We had TONS of crazy adventures, and some of my funniest stories to this day came from that era.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    I'll give the classic legal answer. It depends. Although I was not in the Greek community, and it was (ahem) a long time ago when I would have been, many of my friends and family members were. FWIW, the women had more positive experiences than the men. Part of the primal lifestyle, apart from food and exercise which get a lot of the attention, is about social connections and play, both aspects that a sorority can nurture. I don't have the PB in front of me but I believe some of the 10 rules could be more readily achieved in a Greek setting although of course they could be achieved outside of it too.

Why it ultimately depends though has much to do on individual circumstances, e.g., do you bond with the members during rush, would it help you with a place to live etc. In my experience, the peer pressure to do certain behaviours (drinking mainly) has greatly diminished in the past several years with the prevelance of law suits and liability discouraging such behaviour coming from the national offices of such organizations. Also, joining a sorority (except perhaps in extreme cases) does not mean you have to 100% commit yourself to it. It's kind of like a church in that way. Nothing wrong with still not living there and selectively doing certain events unless of course you are joining a more cultish like one but I would steer away from that.

While you do pay to be in a sorority, it comes, potentially, with a place to live and eat. At least where I went to school (in a big city where housing was expensive), I think it was actually cheaper to live in a house but if they don't have houses where you are, it does not matter.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    If you're talking about a sorority in whose house you would live, don't forget to take into account the eating situation. If they provide you with food, does that mean you won't be able to eat their food and will have to prepare all your own meals separately?

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    It depends on what you want. My friend was in a sorority as she went to a small college and almost everyone was in a sorority. She made many close friends and I think it was a great thing in her life. I went to a big university and was not in a sorority. It did not prevent me from not having a good time and making friends. Some of the girls in my program who joined sororities had to drop out due to time constraints (my major was time intense- you can't fake design projects).

If you are not in a sorority, I guess you miss out on whatever the hell special things sororities do. If you want to be in a sorority to do those things, then join. If you want to join a sorority to go to frat parties and meet guys, well, you don't have to be in one to do that. If you want to enjoy living with a bunch of women, the dorms work. I know some sororities make you live in the house and to be honest.... after 2 years of living with a bunch of women, I was willing to live in a shithole of an apartment with crack smoking neighbors to get away from that. If I had to spend one more month with that bullshit, I'd have killed someone.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast