Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried about bloodwork results page

PinkyT is offline Junior Member

Worried about bloodwork results

Primal Fuel
    Six weeks ago my husband, teenage son, & I began a sort of combo of PB, Paleo, & the Perfect Health Diet. We've eliminated sugars (except some honey), all grains, & all processed foods, keeping meat, veggies, fruit, fats, some high-fat dairy (butter, whipping cream, cheddar cheese), & minimal starches (potatoes/sweet potatoes with butter at evening meal). Today I received my lipid panel report from my doctor & panicked. Here are my numbers:

Total: 271
    HDL: 63
    Trig: 145
    LDL: 179
    Non-HDL (I don't know what this is): 208
    Glucose: 84

By the way, I'm a 5'2", 115 lb., 49yo female who exercises 2-3 times a week. I haven't lost a great deal of weight on our new eating plan, but I've leaned up around my torso and I like the way I'm eating and feeling.

Anyway, back to my panic attack. I've since done a search on this forum and found Griff's "Cholesterol: A Primer," which made me feel a little better--but just a little. I'm still not sure why my LDL is so high since my triglycerides are not low. And I'm not sure why my triglycerides are not lower than they are. Should I be worried about these numbers? Should I make some modifications to my diet? My doctor, of course, wants me to cut out my red meats, eggs, and saturated fats. Any advice would be much appreciated!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Six weeks is not very long. Your levels are in no way a threat to your health. Give it another three months then get retested. You should see reduced triglycerides and increased HDL (which isn't bad anyhow). Total is not very relevant. LDL is calculated by an approximation so isn't at all accurate. non-HDL is just Total - HDL
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

rory535 is offline Member
    Yes, but what was your lipid panel typically like before you started? Also, lipid panels can change drastically in a very short space of time as well, depending on what is going on. I dropped my LDL almost 100 points in the space of 3 weeks.
    Last edited by rory535; 08-14-2013 at 07:22 PM.

iconoclast79 is offline Member
    Eat fatty fish a couple times/ week. Wait longer than 6 weeks before testing.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    - Six weeks too short - try a few months AFTER you stop leaning out
    - Numbers not so bad in any case but will prob get better after leaning out stops
    - Numbers probably high because you're actively leaning
    - Ignore doc, keep doing the same things (same food, same exercise)
    - If numbers don't get better then panic

Important words "I've leaned up around my torso and I like the way I'm eating and feeling" - Don't let the doctor 'fix' this

PinkyT is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all of your replies to my post. I'm not sure what my lipid panel was the last time I had it done, but I've never had a high cholesterol total before, so that's why I was so concerned. I'm going to ask my doctor for the previous one so that I can compare the specific categories. I like the idea of continuing to eat this way for another three months and then testing again. And I didn't realize that my leaning up would affect my results. Good to know! Thanks, everyone!

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkyT View Post
    Thanks for all of your replies to my post. I'm not sure what my lipid panel was the last time I had it done, but I've never had a high cholesterol total before, so that's why I was so concerned. I'm going to ask my doctor for the previous one so that I can compare the specific categories. I like the idea of continuing to eat this way for another three months and then testing again. And I didn't realize that my leaning up would affect my results. Good to know! Thanks, everyone!
    Yes when losing weight (body fat), even a vegan is 'eating' a high saturated animal fat diet ( the body canabilizes body fat for energy - you're 'eating' your own human animal fat ).

These fat stored human fat triglycerides are flowing in the blood for energy along with food fat triglycerides, so trigs and other lipids test numbers can be out of wack ( it's normal).

That's my simple take on it anyway.

When leaned out the trigs are normally lower if carb intake is lower. Though Chol can be higher along with HDL.

In any case I would not panic even if they didn't return to so called 'normal'.

I would rely on my real health - how I "look, feel and perform" ( Robb Wolf quote) rather than following a doctor that could 'guide' me back to carrying more weight, less energy and not feeling so well ( the opposite of health).

So it doesnt make sense to panic about being healthy.

biko is offline Senior Member
    I don't get it.
    I keep reading PB and such will improve cholesterol etc but there's quite some people reporting increased levels after going primal, paleo etc etc.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    My cholesterol improved a lot! HDL went from 50-ish to the low 90's to high 80's. Total went from the low to 200's up to a happy 280-ish to 300-ish depending on calculation. Trigs dropped into the 40's and stay there, except for last time - when I tried utilizing fruit for significant caloric intake. Oops. Not making that mistake again.

The higher the healthier, for the most part. I am grateful every day! Low cholesterol is associated with so many horrible impairments. Glad mine is up!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

peril is offline Senior Member
    PB almost always increases HDL and reduces triglycerides. This is definitely improvement. It may also increase LDL but there is considerable disagreement over the significance thereof. For me, the LDL is irrelevant so long as the others are good
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast