Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Colpo's response to Lustig, Taubes and Toxic Sugar page 6

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    In my house, I have unfiltered creamed honey, blackstrap molasses, maple syrup, coconut sugar and brown sugar. I use the first 4 for myself and regular dark brown sugar when I am cooking for groups or making large batches due to the cost-prohibitive nature of the first 4. I don't use white sugar, but I consider dark brown sugar okay since it has a significant molasses content and has trace mineral content. Honestly, my view these days is that sugar = fat for the most part.
    Ok. I have raw sugar on hand for visitors that want sugar for tea/coffee but don't use it myself.

I use some honey and want to get Manuka honey with high UMF for its alleged higher health benefits.

Only other sources of sugar I get is from fruit.

There is the mindset around here that fat is good and sugar is bad, but a refined oil with no mineral content is no better than a refined sugar with no mineral content, and the reality is the bad fats are worse for you than the worst sugars (soybean oil vs HFCS, give me HFCS all day long!).
    Well if they mean ANY fat compared to ANY sugar then that seems wrong - but i don't think they mean that ( well most of them that consume sugars in fruits that is).

Eg I don't think most think buying a pound of GMO high transfat solid seed oil is better than buying five pounds of apples - at least I don't.

If it is okay to use a tablespoon of oil to cook some eggs in, it is okay to put a tablespoon of sugar in your coffee.
    Um yeah but butter doesn't have the reputation of destroying teeth health and adding to tooth plaque - if this is true then different macros can have different effects in mouth health.

Perhaps x calories of white sugar gives some people pimples/acne but same calories of grassfed butter fat doesn't.

Etc etc

And just the same, if it's not okay to drink a 32oz Coke, then it's not okay to blend half a stick of butter in your coffee.
    What if a food has a mass of other added chemicals and junk too - doesn't that tip the scales toward the more natural product?

Empty junk calories are empty junk calories, I don't care if it's a fat or sugar source. And for this reason, I consider honey, maple syrup and molasses superior to all oils and added fats. The only added fats with any measurable nutrition are a pastured butter/ghee and red palm oil, of which the latter is not very versatile.
    I use some NZ pastured butter, eat NZ some pastured dairy - sources of high fat. I even use a bit of FIJI organic coconut oil ( and some MCT). I eat grassfed meats with the naturally thin yellowish fat attached. So I don't avoid fats.

I eat fruit, veg, some honey, potatoes and rice, so I don't avoid carbs.

Doing this seems to work ok for me - could it be physically better? : probably, but I think also mental enjoyment of food and lifestyle is part of sustainable health too.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I believe its erroneous to label fat as nutritionally devoid. Fatty acids in and of themselves can be defined as nutrients if you don't take he CW view. Some of them act as antioxidants, some are known to positively impact our mitochondria, they are structural, some are antiviral and antibacterial..... all just fat..... apparently nutritionally devoid fat.... bullocks I say! These may not fit the CW definition of "nutrients", but they are vital and absolutely nutritious.

Zach is offline Banned
    Speaking of crazy people, Jimmy Moore gained a bunch of fat again. Blaming it on mouth surgery and antibiotics. All that while he hosts a ketosis for athletes panel at AHS. That guy fascinates me.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    ..... all just fat..... apparently nutritionally devoid fat.... bullocks I say! These may not fit the CW definition of "nutrients", but they are vital and absolutely nutritious.
    Yes bright yellow grass fed butter sounds pretty good to me - though I like colorful fruit and veg too

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Speaking of crazy people, Jimmy Moore gained a bunch of fat again. Blaming it on mouth surgery and antibiotics. All that while he hosts a ketosis for athletes panel at AHS. That guy fascinates me.
    Jimmy Moore is a complete quack.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

70in2012 is offline Senior Member

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    That was the best thing i have seen in awhile. Thank you!

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    Lol that was too funny. "Don't worry. He will be keto-adapted soon". Freakin' awesome!
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    Point being if you're going to preach health and fitness through diet then be fit yourself.
    Health and fitness are different dimensions. James Fixx, the father of the running / jogging craze as we know it, died of a massive heart attack while jogging, despite running on average about 80 miles a week. He was quite fit, and congenitally unhealthy. So maybe you meant to say "if you're going to preach health through diet then be healthy yourself?" I'm not convinced that the culturally accepted notion of "health" ( ye olde sixe packe ) says much about one's health. I can definitely tell you that I am much stronger when I carry more body fat, I just happen to find lower body fat more aesthetically pleasing. I don't pretend that it is healthier, though.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456