Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Colpo's response to Lustig, Taubes and Toxic Sugar page 2

peril is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I don't want to sidetrack too much, but doesn't it matter that HFCS is derived from gmo-ed corn by the process described below:
    GMO makes no difference due to the subsequent processing. It comes down to glucose & fructose so the GMO origin is of no consequence

BTW, I think Colpo was foolish to refuse Demassi's offer. Cutting off his nose to spite his face. But he does seem to enjoy spite. He will always be fringe with his approach
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lea View Post
    I think this is valid and can see why he takes this position - however I have also read that not all HFCs is 55% so I'm not sure if he's correct or not.
    The two more commonly used are HFCS 55 and HFCS 42.

Either way, avoiding HFCs helps you avoid a bunch of processed junk so it can't be a bad idea.
    Can't disagree, however I don't think there's any reason to fear it.

What I took from lustig was mostly 1. Sugar in excess, particularly soft drinks, has contributed to obesity in the us. I think it's hard to argue with this (although I know many will!). Cutting cokes helped me lose a fair bit of weight so this tracks with my personal experience.
    My problem with many of his arguments is that they stem from studies using massive amounts of pure fructose, which is extremely uncommon in "real life". Fructose is always accompanied by some amount of glucose.

I think taubes added a lot to the discussion, whether you agree with conclusions or not, because he pointed out how very, very bad all this "science" and diet advice has been.
    I don't want to turn this into a Taubes sh*tstorm, but much of the "science" that Taubes presents is equally as faulty as what he's attempting to refute.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    My problem with many of his arguments is that they stem from studies using massive amounts of pure fructose, which is extremely uncommon in "real life". Fructose is always accompanied by some amount of glucose.
    Yup. He's basically arguing a straw man.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    Luke Sissyfag, Gary Taubes, Robert Lustig, & the Problem with Journalists « AnthonyColpo

I'm currently trying to form my own opinions based on sound understanding, but jeez it's a challenge sometimes.
    I liked the point about her credentials, lol. This was an enjoyable read, thanks.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I found their exchanges to be hilarious.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    I found their exchanges to be hilarious.
    Oh they are... thats why I linked em

Honestly at circa 2008 it was before my time (great that the internet records EVERYTHING right?).... I've only been paleo and such for about 3 years, and just relied on my nutrition course info till then.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    I was enjoying the article as soon as he mentioned that journalists are idiots; they are.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    The documentary was focused on the elevated levels of sugar (and carbs) that people are eating, it was not talking about lean people exercising. More people are overweight or obese then not. Even those that are not obese, have problems that can be related back to sugar, even skinny people can get diabetes 2. If I was Lustig, and I had to look at those children, I would be pretty pissed off too. But if you tell people to avoid excess sugar and liquid calories, you are helping a whole rake of people. It was an excellent documentary, focusing on the Australian Heart Foundation's stupid tick label and provided some good information.

If we took away HFCS and GMO beet sugar, natural cane sugar would be at a price that would make people think twice about their daily treats. The price I pay for pure molasses a bottle of 740g is 6.50 euros. Not cheap, this is the real price of real sugar.

Taubes and Lustig may not be perfect so what shall people do go back to Keys and The China Study?
    Life. Be in it.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Saying fructose is bad is just like saying salt is bad. Confounding factors abound. If sugar is bad for you, then refined oils are even worse. White sugar is nutritionally equal to coconut oil, and metabolically there isn't much difference. Maybe sugar is slightly less fattening. And since coconut oil is the most advantageous refined oil, every other oil would be even worse. I guess my point is if sugar is bad for us, we really need to stop eating fat.

So what is it? Do we starve to death? There is nothing inherently toxic about sugar, and just like everything else on planet Earth, poison is in the dose. Sitting at your desk and drinking a 40oz Coke is probably bad for you. That's probably more straight refined sugar than your body can handle in a sitting. That doesn't mean a packet of white sugar in your morning coffee is bad. Chicken wings fried in canola oil are even worse than the tallest soda, and there is no sugar in that. Eat real food - I don't care if it's meat, fruit, tubers, milk, whatever. Just avoid flours, PUFA oils - especially fried flours - and things you can't pronounce on food labels and you'll probably be okay.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast