Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discouraged about push-ups page

Alexis47 is offline Member

Discouraged about push-ups

So here's the situation--I've never been able to do a full push-up. A couple times I thought I could, but I found out later I was only lowering myself around 1/3 of the way I was supposed to. I'm currently working up to full push-ups, and yesterday I was able to do 27 consecutive incline push-ups.

Problem is, I still can't do a push-up. What's even worse is apparently I'm doing incline push-ups wrong--I tried some knee push-ups with the best form I could manage, lowering myself to the point where I'm barely not touching the ground, with core engaged, back straight, and all that.

I can do six knee push-ups in a row. That's it. I start shaking badly and it's really difficult to raise myself back up after only a few. At my last one I usually just fall.

I thought I was doing well--incline push-ups are supposed to be harder than knee push-ups, not easier!

My arm muscles are pretty solid, so I think the problem is my chest muscles. What am I supposed to do here, just start doing the measly amounts of knee push-ups I'm capable of until I can do a full push-up?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Stay faithful to your knee push-ups until you reach 15 reps, then you probably can do one or two full push-ups as well...
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

Mini_mi is offline Member
    Hey Alexis47,

Basically, yes. But you shouldn't push yourself too hard. One of the best push-up programs I've seen is at www.transformetrics.com
    Check out his ultimate push-up book. Not expensive and will turn you into a push machine very quickly.
    Hope this helps,

Jim
    P.s. I used this program to get me to where I can do 5 sets of 100 daily. But, don't think you will get to where I am quickly. I've been doing push-ups for years ( think decades).

mattconway is offline Member
    Be patient. Body-weight exercise gains come slowly. There's good advice above - and don't forget to eat right, and get plenty of rest in between push-up days!

zoeamy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis47 View Post
    So here's the situation--I've never been able to do a full push-up. A couple times I thought I could, but I found out later I was only lowering myself around 1/3 of the way I was supposed to. I'm currently working up to full push-ups, and yesterday I was able to do 27 consecutive incline push-ups.

Problem is, I still can't do a push-up. What's even worse is apparently I'm doing incline push-ups wrong--I tried some knee push-ups with the best form I could manage, lowering myself to the point where I'm barely not touching the ground, with core engaged, back straight, and all that.

I can do six knee push-ups in a row. That's it. I start shaking badly and it's really difficult to raise myself back up after only a few. At my last one I usually just fall.

I thought I was doing well--incline push-ups are supposed to be harder than knee push-ups, not easier!

My arm muscles are pretty solid, so I think the problem is my chest muscles. What am I supposed to do here, just start doing the measly amounts of knee push-ups I'm capable of until I can do a full push-up?

How long have you been trying to do push ups for? A few days? A few months?

Push ups are deceptively hard, its more core strength than anything else.

I'd suggest doing some different push ups, like hand release push ups (from your knees) and three phase push ups (from your toes), or using a fitness ball.

Also exercises like plank, or even just holding a push up "up" position will increase your ability.

It takes a while, it took me probably 6 weeks before I could do full push ups, so just keep going!
    Starting waist measurement: 36". Current 35". First Goal 33".
    Starting backsquat: 50lbs. Current squat: 132lbs.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    I'm a bit curious to see your form -- modifying hand placement (mainly arm positioning) can make a pretty big difference with push ups. Then of course there's spinal posture as well. If you're interested in getting some advice then feel free to post a vid of yourself attempting a few push ups. There are some very knowledgeable people here who might spot some quick ways to improve.

Al Kavadlo's website might interest you also. I think he has some push up tutorial/progression videos available for free.

Alexis47 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoeamy View Post
    How long have you been trying to do push ups for? A few days? A few months?

Push ups are deceptively hard, its more core strength than anything else.

I'd suggest doing some different push ups, like hand release push ups (from your knees) and three phase push ups (from your toes), or using a fitness ball.
    This time around I've been trying for three weeks, but this is maybe the third time I've attempted to work up to full push-ups. I gave up the other two times.

Could you explain how to do three phase push ups? I can't find much online about them.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Here's one for you that I did when I was up around 200 pounds and trying to get pushups back: negative pushups.

Take the position a person would take to do a regular pushup. Lower yourself slowly to the floor under control and try to push up until you fail. You won't be able to do many of them at first, but you will start to notice yourself getting stronger at them soon. Don't do them every day. Take a day off between.

engletis is offline Junior Member
    i agree with you,Not expensive and will turn you into a push machine very quickly.thanks

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Try this. Kitchen bench/ table push-ups. Ease yourself down so your sternum is touching the edge of the bench.
    Put your hands under your shoulders also against the edge of the bench.
    Keep your elbows tucked in to your side, a 45 degree angle between arm and body is optimal here, don't flare them out perpendicular to your body.

Keep your body taught and straight and lift your chest off the bench. This is correct form for push-ups so practise this. Doing 20 - 30 of these with proper form will translate to 5-10 ground push-ups. When your ready apply the same body configuration on a flat surface.
    Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast