Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Discouraged about push-ups page 3

Alexis47 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by paint94979 View Post
    Have you tried gamer pushups? You are in pushup position, you then go all the way done and allow your body to rest completely on the ground you then once you are ready proceed to do the pushup. I undunderstand these may be tough but it might be enough to make it all the way up as oppsed to fully supporting your body weight for the duration?
    As of yet, I can't do these, though gamer push-ups and three phase push-ups seem to be the best to work on after I get good enough at negatives (which is coincidentally the first half of gamer push-ups).

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Incline push-ups really depend on the angle more than anything. What you can do is while doing your incline push ups, try pushing yourself back up to standing. That will train your explosive strength which in turn will help with your force production in your regular push ups. So push as fast as you can and breathe out as fast as you can to push your self up to standing from a slight incline push up. Once the angle gets easy, make the angle a little sharper and do it again.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I would also try negative push ups (I've been doing this lately with single arms in an attempt to be able to do one arm push ups).

Basically get yourself in push up position and slowly lower yourself. Do this as many times as you can (even if you can't push up into this position, you can place your hands on the floor and step backward until you're in position, or start with a knee push up and when you're in the up position raise your knees).

Negatives are a great way of gaining strength!

Update: I started negative push-ups. This morning I was able to do two sets of three. The last few I couldn't lower myself smoothly, so I sort of just fell at the last bit. Just now I did four (not in a row), all without falling--speed was consistent all the way down, and I was able to count to four or five (seconds? Probably quicker, though) on the way down. I'm pretty happy with this so far.

Breezy111 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis47 View Post
    I'm not really certain I'm doing the incline push-ups wrong, I just figured that I was since Mark's primal blueprint fitness PDF places incline push-ups as the level after knee push-ups, and I can do 30 incline but only six knee push-ups. The numbers just seem off, that's all. Then again my father says he's always seen incline push-ups as the progression before, not after, knee push-ups.

I'm going to start doing negatives with counting tomorrow morning. I sometimes do something similar with pull-ups (since I can't do those either yet).
    Mark has YouTube videos showing proper form, have you watched any of those?

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy111 View Post
    Mark has YouTube videos showing proper form, have you watched any of those?
    Yes, I've seen all of them that I know of.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123